Kagura and Zessica

I pace around the beach. Amata and Mikono are still missing. After we defeated Mykage, the two of them just disappeared. Where could they have possibly gone?

"Would you quit pacing? It's driving me crazy!"

"S-sorry." I sit next to Kagura, who's staring out at the ocean intently. I can't help but notice his muscles rippling beneath his black shirt. He reminds me so much of Amata.

Amata. I loved him, but I guess he just never felt the same about me. He really loves Mikono. She's his true love, not me. The thought makes my eyes watery and I shake my head to clear it.

"Hey, can I ask you something?" I ask him hesitantly.

"Fire away," he says.

"How come you didn't kill me when I asked you to?"

He turns and fixes his burning gaze on me. "I don't know. I guess I kinda saw some of myself in you. I know what that pain feels like. I've dealt with it my whole life."

"I'm so sorry."

He snorts. "Don't be. I don't need the sympathy. You're just raising my hackles."

I look away. "Oh. Sorry."

He sighs. "Wait, I'm sorry if I came off a little too aggressive."

"No it's okay." I move closer to him. "It's fine. I get it."

This must be the first time I've ever seen Kagura give a genuine smile. He nudges me. "Bitch."

I nudge him back. "Asshole."

We both laugh.

"You reek like trash."

I jump back a bit. What did he just say?

Kagura suddenly realizes his mistake and blushes a little. "I mean, you smell lovely. Yeah. That's what I meant."

I feel the blood rush to my cheeks. "Oh. Thanks, I guess."

Awkward silence.

"So, uh, what are you gonna do now? You know, now that Mikono chose Amata and all, and, uh, well..."

He looks at me.

"I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry. I'll stop talking."

Kagura moves closer, so our legs touch and there are just a few millimeters between us. His heat is overwhelming, and yet surprisingly comforting.

"Don't stop talking." He raises my chin, so I'm looking straight into his eyes. "For once, I actually enjoy the blabber coming out of someone else's mouth."

My heart skips a beat. "Oh. Sure. Okay. Yeah. So, what are you going to do?"

His eyes glint with something I can't describe as he whispers into my ear, "I'm going to choose someone else. Someone with green hair and a fiery attitude to match mine."

I realize that he's talking about me. Me! That can't be right, can it?

"Kagura, I-I, uh, well then..." I'm at a loss for words.

He leans in and presses his warm lips to my neck. A sense of excitement runs through me. I close my eyes as he kisses me and moves upward, eventually planting his mouth onto mine. This is better than I ever expected Amata to treat me.

After several moments, he pulls away. I can still feel the sensation on my lips. I want more, but it doesn't come. Instead, we wait in silence.

Once the sun starts to set, I pace around again, so many thoughts swirling around in my head. Where are Amata and Mikono? Do I really love Kagura? Is it really possible that he can love me?

As I think, I see something out of the corner of my eye. Shush flies at me at full speed and lands in my hands.

"Huh?! Shush?!"

I turn towards the horizon to see the head of an Aquarion rising out of the water. I nearly jump for joy. "Look! It's them! They came back!"

Shush jumps up and down in my hands as Kagura stands up and everyone else from Neo-DEAVA seems to rush onto the beach. The silhouette of Amata with Mikono in his arms gets closer as the Aquarion does. They're both smiling, ready to be welcomed back like heroes. They get their happy ending, and I get mine with Kagura.

.........

AN: I have to be honest. I wasn't really sure what would happen between these two. After I finished the last episode of EVOL, I was really curious if Zess and Kagura ever got any closer together, since they became friends in the final episode. I thought it was a pretty cute relationship, and so, I wrote this. I feel like there's more going on between them than just friendship. It's pretty cute if you ask me!