Raven Chapter Two

Sans was sitting in their living room once more, only this time he felt a little less cramped. Sans had not enjoyed wearing his coat over his wings. It had begun to get uncomfortable. Though Sans suspected that it would get more uncomfortable soon.

"Sans what happened." Papyrus asked, concern etched into his features.

"Papyrus... It's about dad." Sans answered.

"Dad? What does it have to do with dad? Didn't he... Didn't he die?" Papyrus said, startled.

"Papyrus... I believe it's time I tell you what really happened to dad. I... I didn't want to tell you because I didn't want to ruin your image of him." Sans answered, poking at his wings.

"Who was your dad?" Undyne asked from behind the couch.

"His name was W.D. Gaster, though I just called him G. He was the old royal scientist before Alphys took over. One day before the war, he met another skeleton and they fell in love and got married. Then they had me. Apparently our grandmother or something had skeletal wings, which she passed down the gene to mom, but it was recessive, so it didn't show up until they had me.

When I was older, I believe right after you were born Paps, he asked me if I wanted to help him in his lab. I agreed obviously. I had full faith in dad. So I went down and helped him in his lab for some time. Then the war happened, and we were sent down to the underground. Mom... She didn't make it through the war. She died shortly before it ended.

This sent dad down in a spiral. He didn't leave the house for a couple weeks, but then Asgore asked him to come and be the Royal Scientist, and help research the barrier. So he did, and I became his assistant once more. One day when you were about two Papyrus.... Things went horribly wrong.

It was just like a normal day, me and dad had left for the lab. You were at home I think. When we got to the lab, we went down to one of the lower research facilities. Dad had brought with him some excess determination from the newest human soul to research.

He had started to mess around with the determination, while he sent me off to mess around. After a while I got bored, and I stupidly decided to try and practice some bone attacks that dad had taught me. As I was there sending bones off in one direction, dad had scolded me, causing me to get distracted and I stupidly sent an attack in a random direction when he distracted me.

And.... and I hit the table... and.. And I..."

"Sans if you... if you don't want to tell me you don't have to continue." Papyrus said, laying a hand on his brother's shoulder.

"No Papyrus. I need to tell you. Like I said... I hit the table and I knock... I knocked the determination vial... I knocked the vial of determination over and it fell on... on me... And it hurt... It hurt so fricken bad. The determination that I was covered in... It caused the bones in my wings... to turn to dust. I felt my own bones turn to dust before my very eyes... and it hurt. It hurt so bad that I didn't know what I could do... And dad was there, trying his best to help, but there was nothing he could do.

Finally every single bone of my wings had turned to dust, and all that was left was a hypersensitive stub of bone. Why do you think I always wore a jacket in Snowdin? It's not like we feel the cold. That's when I learned how to teleport. And I was hurting. I was hurting so dang bad, so I did the only thing I could... I latched onto my magic and did something, anything!

And I teleported. I teleported anywhere that I could think of.. And I teleported dad to his own death. He let go of me, and he fell. He fell into the core. He fell into the core and died because I couldn't control my own fudging magic. I killed my own father, and there was nothing I could have done about it..." Sans broke down.