Chapter 4

Justin opened his eyes slowly and touched his face where it hurt. "I need to get to class. I need to get to class." He muttered under his breath. "I need to get to class." He said, slightly louder. He sits up, shrieks in pain, then falls to the pillow. Justin grabs his stomach and forces himself to a sitting position, leaning against the wall behind him. He opens his eyes and surveys the room.

Addy was wiping her eyes as the shriek had woken her. "You ok?"

"Yeah....I tripped." Justin answers, looking over at the adjacent bed to his.

"Yea... sure" she commented and then realized what had happened. "Let me guess... Jace, Aj, and Connor did it."

"Yeah....." Justin tries to stand. He can't bring himself to it. Instead, he lays back down and looks at the other beds. Aj was on a bed a few feet away. He was angrily staring Justin down.

Addy looked over at Aj. "Seriously Aj, come on, you're better than that.....a little." She paused, calming herself. 'But seriously." She sat up, slowly grabbing the crutches near by and used them to help her stand. "I'll be right back." She commented making her way to the door.

"Ok. Be careful." Justin began.

    A tall, broad-shouldered man stood in the doorway. It was the principal who walked in, standing to the side for Addy to get past. "Hello Addelyn, you sure you should be walking?" He commented as she made her way past.

"I guess but I have something I need to do." She said, leaving the nurse's room.

He looked to the boys. "What the heck happened here."

Justin looked at Aj, then back to the principal. "I can explain, sir." He begins, sitting up on the pillow and wincing in pain, "I was in second period gym today, and my friend, Addelyn, hurt her ankle. I brought her here immediately, then I brought her a lunch an hour later. When I was taking the tray back to the cafeteria when the bell rang, and I was tripped."

The principal looked at Aj and he nodded agreeingly.

- Meanwhile.......- -

As she made her way down the hallway, she arrived to Jace. "Seriously, you need to stop! It's not happening so leave it alone, and leave Justin alone." She said angrily as she backed up a bit to re-adjust the crutch under her armpits

"I don't want you to have a wimp like him, that's all, Addy." Jace said as he stroked her arm.

She grabbed his arm and twisted it. "Don't touch me. It's not your decision who I date and who I don't." she pushed him back against the locker, fixed her crutches, and made her way to to the nurse's office, her ankle throbbing from too much use.

"Addy, don't come crying when he hurts you." Jace called after her. Then he turned around to head to fourth period. He muttered to himself, "Justin Amspacher is going to pay." Jace grinned evilly, and instead of heading to fourth period, walked right out the main doors to the parking lot.

"Didn't plan to." She called as she watched him go outside. After a few steps she made it back to the nurse's office and leaned against the wall for a moment to catch her breath, and to fix her crutches.

Justin took in a breath of air and stood up, slowly walking over to Addy's aid.

She jumped slightly, realizing he was next to her, "I'm fine Justin, go lay back down."

"No. I'm only bruised, but you might have a broken ankle." Justin stated, helping her hobble to her bed.

"Ahem." The principal coughed from his place, leaning against the nurse's desk. "For your actions today Justin, picking a fight, causing harm to Aj, and skipping class, I will have to suspend you for one week. Effective tomorrow." The principal announces bluntly before walking swiftly out of the large room.