Ten

Once completely drunk after numerous extra drinks, Dinah takes me to sit on the sofa in the living room, taking it upon herself to ensure her usually sober best friend is well looked after.

"I'm sorry." I slur, smiling groggily at the blonde with her arms wrapped around me. She looks down, meeting my eyes, her dimples deep in a grin.

"It's ok."

"I really am sorry, I never usually-" I'm cut off by a burp from my own mouth and Dinah laughs loudly.

"It's fine, Mila. It's about time you enjoyed yourself." She hands me a glass from beside her. "Here, have some of this and before you know it we will up on that floor dancing." She points ahead of us at the multiple people dancing, but all I see is Lauren.

She meets my eyes, smirking as she moves her body in time with the music, each of us holding the others stare for what seems like hours before she looks away.

"I'm not gay, Dinah" the blonde beside me mocks. I roll my eyes deciding I'm not in a fit state to argue with her, causing the taller girl to laugh. I stay silent for a little while, watching the Cuban dance with her friends as Dinah begins to talk to some random guy I'd never seen before.

"How are you feeling?" My thoughts are interrupted by Shawn, who crouches to sit on the floor in front of the sofa I'm on.

"Better." I smile and he returns it, handing me another glass of water to replace the last.

"You look better." He places the empty glass on the ground beside him and crosses his legs. "You like her?" He asks, following my eyes in the direction of Lauren.

"Oh, I uh, she's-"

"Camila it's ok, I'm not an idiot." He chuckles lightly, running his fingers through his hair. "We all have secrets." His voice lowers and I find him looking in the direction of the sandy haired boy I met yesterday. He snaps his eyes back to me, his cheeks growing red at how open he just was. "So, are you ready to get up and dance?" He smiles brightly, standing and reaching out his hand.

"Oh no, no, no." Dinah shakes her head, reaching out her arm to push his away.

"I'm fine."

"Mila-"

"Dinah, I'm fine, look." I stand, giving her a little twirl and tripping over a bag someone had left on the floor, falling to the ground and head butting the glass Shawn had only just put down.

***

"Is she ok?"

"I'm sure she will be fine, her mom is on her way here now."

"Camz?"

"Keep that fuckin cloth to her head, I don't want blood all over my sofa."

"Shut the fuck up, Kevin"

"Camz, please wake up."

"What happened?"

***

"Ok, can you just follow this light with your eyes." The doctor asks, clicking the small device in his hands before lifting it to my face. I comply, doing the best I can while squinting due to the brightness.

"My head hurts." I mumble and my Mom reaches for my hand.

"It's ok, baby." She plants a small kiss over my knuckles and the doctor wheels toward his computer.

"She will be fine, it's just a mild concussion. I'm going to give to some pain killers that will help, just make sure to keep an eye on her tonight. If it starts to bleed a lot again, or she throws up, bring her back." I watch as the tall man stands, shaking my Moms hand before opening a door so that we can leave.

"Is she ok?" Dinah rushes in our direction the minute we leave the room, pulling me into a tight hug before scanning the butterfly stitches on my forehead.

"I'm fine." I state, rubbing my temples before my eyes fall on Lauren, sat with her head resting in her right hand, sleeping.

"Last time you said that, this happened." Dinah laughs, gesturing toward my head. "She fell asleep about an hour ago." She adds, heading over to the brunette and shaking her softly.

"What time is it?" I question, turning to face my Mom who's arms are still wrapped around me.

"Almost 5am" she sighs, the dark bags under her eyes extremely prominent now that my vision has cleared.

"Mom, I'm sorry."

"It's ok, I'm just glad that you're safe." She smiles weakly, adjusting the handbag over shoulder. "Let's get home." The four of us head back to the car, only breaking the silence to yawn.

"I'll uh, I'll see you on Monday?" Lauren asks, meeting my eyes awkwardly. Dinah smiles widely, taking in the interaction and my Mom jumps in before anyone can say anything.

"You're not driving home when you've just been falling asleep there. It's late. Stay at our house tonight, I'll drop you back here tomorrow morning to get your car."

"Oh no, it's-"

"I insist." My Mom says firmly, ushering Lauren in to the back seat of the car.

"Yo me encargo de ella." Lauren smiles, easing my Moms worried brows as I climb in beside her. The door closes behind me and Lauren reaches for my seat belt, fastening it around me while Dinah and my mom fill the boot with everyone's bags. "How are you feeling?" The brunette asks, pushing back my hair in an attempt to keep it away from the drying blood. Red surrounds the green in her eyes and her breath feels warm against my skin as she talks so close to my face. The car door opens again and Lauren sits back quickly, but my eyes stay on her, examining her tired features.

"Yo también lo siento." My voice is almost inaudible, but I know she hears me because her glaucous eyes brighten and a small smile pulls at the corners of her mouth.