Chapter 1: Artemis

Sleepily, I turned the television on and switched the channel to Myx so that I can listen to music while preparing for breakfast... I mean—lunch. I overslept way too much today. I'm lucky 'cause it's Saturday, if not, I would have to be absent for two subjects.

I'm not spending massive amounts of time dallying at Facebook, 9gag or Tumblr. I'm not even reviewing for an upcoming major exam or something. Besides, I can pull an all-nighter if necessary and still be able to wake up early. But that was before, before that guy haunted my dreams. It's like my conscious mind is locking the unconscious part of my head into a deep chasm so that I can have all the time that I need staring at him, watching the same dream on loop. Creepy? Yes! But it's probably the most charming, creepy dream I ever had.

I've been dreaming of the same person for five consecutive nights already, starting on the eve of mother's death anniversary. The first time it rolled, I was happy because I felt less alone. It's like a message from my mom telling me to stop sulking already, here’s a man for you, move on, fall in love, enjoy life and such. And then it kept on repeating itself until today.  It’s always the same person albeit with different settings. He’s sometimes with four boys whose faces were blurred.

Describing him would be difficult for his attractive face and distinct voice is way beyond words; and I hate the fact that I’m infatuated … - infatuated over some phantom guy who bugs my dream. My heart is just beginning to heal and I don’t want it to be smashed again. If that happens, I’d rather shut down my senses and hibernate so I’ll keep in mind that no matter how tangible he seems to be, he is no way part of reality. He is NOT REAL. End of discussion.

I settled down my platter of pancakes at the table in front of the t.v. —pancakes for lunch, taste good. Who cares? I’m watching VJ Robi do the recap of the chart-toppers. I’m actually rooting for Yeng Constantino’s “Pag-ibig” and a bit disappointed that it only placed fourth. :( Who could be the one who charted the tops then? It’s not T. Swift, perhaps it’s a Korean group whose lyrics I don’t really understand. Then I found out I was wrong — dead wrong. VJ Robi introduced an English boy band called “One Direction.”

While I’m busy munching my pancake, I looked up to the screen to catch a glimpse of the band. I almost choked as food blocked my trachea. Good thing, there’s water right beside me. My whole body was tense, my heart skipped and my brain felt like breaking as I stare on to him. I stared at his lively, gorgeous eyes. I felt like falling from Mt. Apo(1) and still feeling secured like he had caught me from the fall. His long lashes and stubble is pretty. Then he bit his naturally pink lips and sang: ♫ Something’s gotta give now ‘cause I’m dying just to make you see. That I need you here with me now ‘cause you've got that one thing. ♫

It was the soft, deep and caressing voice of the man in my dreams. My mind is still trying to comprehend how supposedly phantom guy is real. My eyes and ears must be playing tricks on me. Curiosity got me so I hastily turned on my laptop and googled One Direction. I got a million of results and clicked Wikipidia.org.

One Direction is a boy band discovered by X-Factor UK. They joined in as individuals and wasn’t able to enter bootcamp. Luckily, Simon Cowell called the boys back and grouped them. They landed 3rd place and accumulated thousand of fans at UK and then to the rest of the world. They are made up of five members: Niall Horan -  bleached blonde, 5’7’’; Liam Payne – brown-haired, 5’10”; Harry Styles – brown, curly hair, 5’10”, Louis Tomlinson – brown straight hair, 5’9” and Zayn Malik – 5’9”, the black-haired boy of my dreams which is quite literal because he is really in my dreams.

Knowing that phantom guy is real is quite nice. But knowing that phantom-guy-turned-real is ludicrously popular and lives at the other side of the globe makes me wish that phantom guy would just stay as MY phantom guy. 

There is no way this guy named Zayn would like me. Gosh! He won’t even know my existence. I could join the bandwagon of girls shouting his name and hope that he is dreaming of me too. But no! I’ll just give up on him and get myself busy in to forgetting him before I fall more deeply ‘cause no matter how safe I feel when I look into his eyes, he won’t catch me. 

(Author's Note: (1) Mt. Apo is the highest mountain peak of the Philippines.)