Chapter 9: Second Nature

'Party at Walters' 8PM' Lucas read the text he had just received from Nathan Rhodes.  He knew his Uncle Kelly wouldn't let him go to a party especially considering how much trouble Abigail had got herself into last time, turning to face the clock that read 5:32 he went for his next option and headed down the corridor to Abi's room carefully not to wake his godfather or Shay.

Peering through the door he could tell his sister was out like a light by the way she lay not really caring he barged through the room and jumped at the bottom of the bed jolting her awake, she was drowned in their dad's old truck shirt that she often wore when she couldn't sleep and her hair was in a bun that had probably been the same one she left the firehouse in last night.

Sitting up slowly she growled at her brother, "What do you want?"

"I've been asked to go to a party...." Luke said as he sat up too.

"Ugh, the sun isn't even up and you're already getting me to cover for you" Abi groaned throwing a pillow at her brother before lying back down pulling the comforter up to her neck.

"Please Abbi" Luke pleaded."Brooke's going too, maybe you can come with?"

"Fine, I'll cover for you but there's no way I'm going. Just leave me alone will you Kelly and Shay wake up early enough as it is" Abigail lifted her head up for a moment to take a quick glance at the clock that sat next to her bed "I've still got 20 minutes. Now go"

"Love you sis" Lucas quickly text Nathan telling him that he would be at the party.

"Get out!" Abi screeched.

****
Severide and Shay were on shift and neither twin had school though Abi did have her first gymnastic meet since being admitted to Chicago Med. For a while Abi was unsure whether or not she'd be able to continue with gymnastics both due to her physical condition and the psychological changes the recent weeks possessed.

"Bug, it's time to get up." Shay informed as she sat on the bottom of the younger twin's bed. No word's left the mouth of the teen only a groan. "Come on, head for the shower and get dressed. Breakfast in 20 minutes"

Shay headed towards Luke's room next "Hey Lu-Oh you're up" Luke was ready to head to the firehouse, he wore his usual attire of jeans and a pullover. Lucas quickly made his way down to the kitchen for breakfast.

"Shay have you seen my jacket?" Kelly asked as he rounded the corner. "You know the pull-over?"

"Has Abi been wearing it?" Shay shrugged, Abi had a habit of 'borrowing' people's hoodies and very rarely gave them back. She must have at least 6 hoodies belonging to different people around the firehouse in her closet.

"Probably, It doesn't matter." Kelly chuckled before pulling on his leather jacket letting out a sharp his of pain causing Shay's head to pop up. Kelly quickly bit his tounge as he popped two pills from a packet into his mouth earning a disapproving glare from his best friend and a concerned look from Luke. Calling back up towards the stairs "Abi, come on. We've gotta get to the firehouse!"

"I'm finished in the bathroom" Abi informed as she walked out of the bathroom. Abi had changed into her training shirt and shorts and had covered up with some yoga pants and a pullover ready for practice later.

"What's wrong with your shoulder Kelly?" Lucas asked.

"Maybe it's time to get that looked at Kelly" Shay said quietly.

"There's nothing wrong"

"What's WRONG?" Luke shouted trying to get his godfather's attention.

"Keep telling yourself that" Shay huffed as she stormed towards the stairs.