Chapter 12: Custody

It was 4am the last time Lucas checked the clock, he had been up most of the night thinking about the call his twin had received the other night, neither twin had heard from Heather Darden in little over two months so naturally it had shocked them when the phone rang.

He knew he'd have to wake up in less than an hour to get ready for practice so he just lay there.

****

Abigail had also woken up and had made her way to her Uncle's room almost mechanically. She gave the door a small knock, once she heard a muffled come in on the other side she slowly opened the door.

Kelly had stirred at the sound of the door knocking, looking up he caught sight of the mouse blonde hair looking towards him.

"You okay?" He asked quietly.

"Can I stay with you tonight?" Abi whispered, she sounded almost like a child but this was something she needed right now.

"Come on" Kelly shifted up to make room for Abi beside him and let her climb in "What's wrong bug?"

"Do you think mom will want us back?" She said slowly, Abi had been slightly afraid of what their godfather himself would want considering his agreement to care for the twins had made him put his life on hold.

"Is that what you want?" Kelly said sitting up so he could see his goddaughter. "Do you want to see your mom?"

"I'm not sure Uncle Kelly, she turned her back on me and Luke" Abi shrugged.

"Go to sleep and we'll talk about it in the morning, okay?" Kelly promised.

****

"Are you guys planning on coming home tonight?" Shay asked, she knew Kelly was going out with Matt that night so she didn't have to worry about him being home when her new 'friend' came over.

"Unless you're kicking me out yeah I was planning on coming home" Luke laughed. 

"Can't you ya know make yourself scarce?" Shay pushed, she wasn't even looking at Lucas but instead was in front of the coffee machine making up of coffee in a travel mug to take to shift.

"What? Why?" Lucas asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Just please" Shay pleaded.

"Fine. I'll go to Naomi's. Happy?"

"Thanks Lucas" Shay ruffled the eldest twin's hair before turning back around "And your sister, what is she doing?"

Lucas shrugged he hadn't really know.

When Abigail came down Shay had been keen to ask the same question. After Kelly spoke to the twins last night they both had a decent night sleep, that said Kelly looked like a Zombie this morning, somehow Abi had kicked or elbowed him in the ribs a few times he wasn't sure.

"You're kicking me out?" Abigail mock glared though to anyone watching wouldn't be able to differentiate between her false attitude and intended attitude.

"One night Abs" Shay pleaded at the sight of Shay begging Abi's straightened lips curled up to a smile "You're annoying sometimes" Shay groaned though thankful she hadn't actually caused world war three in the apartment.

"I do my best" Abigail shrugged happily.

"Have you took your meds?"

"Doing it now. Where's Uncle Kelly? He doesn't usually take this long"

"He's gone to see your Uncle Matt about something" Shay shrugged not sure what it was and why it hadn't been able to wait until shift "He said something about beer"