Chapter Ten

Swiftpaw slid to a stop and set down the kit, "We should be safe." she mewed. The kit squeaked and pressed into her, "Mot ki t." he mewed. She crouched down, "Are you trying to say something?" she mewed. The tiny cat put his paw on her nose, "Swi ft paw." he mewed and put his paw on his muzzle, "Mot ki t." he mewed. Swiftpaw purred and nuzzled his belly, "Are you trying to say Mothkit?" she guessed. The kit nodded. She sat up, "Do you want to be called Mothkit?" she mewed. He nodded and bounced around, "Mot ki t!" he squealed. Swiftpaw nodded, "Ok, Mothkit." she mewed. She flattened a fern down and clawed up grass to line it with. Mothkit tugged out a few stems and drug them over to the nest. Swiftpaw smiled and patted the grass in, folding into the nest and dragging him in with her, "We'll find your mother tomorrow." she mewed.

Moonpaw's POV:

Moonpaw got up and shook the kits awake and then Tinypaw, "We should name the kits." Tinypaw yawned. Moonpaw looked down, "How about Silverkit and Greykit." she mewed. Tinypw nodded. She picked up Greykit and Tinypaw picked up Silverkit. Moonpaw trotted into the trees, tasting the air for scents. She bounded forward and rounded a tree, skidding to a halt next to an orange and red bundle of fur. Cherry's head popped up and she leaped at Moonpaw, "Your here! Is Tinypaw with you!" she wailed. Tinypaw dropped her kit, "I'm here." she mewed. Ruby scrambled up, "Help Creamflower please." he mewed. Tinypaw padded after the kit to a bundle of tan and cream fur in the shade of a fern and sniffed over her. Moonpaw pulled Greykit and Silverkit close as Tinypaw stiffened her shoulders and backed away, "I'm sorry, she's dead. I look like she drowned." she mewed. Moonpaw padded forward, "How'd she drown this far from the flood?" she mewed. Tinypaw shook her head sadly, "She had to much water in her lungs, even after getting out of the flood she couldn't breathe." she mewed. Moonpaw whipped around at the sound of something crashing through the undergrowth. She relaxed as Shadow hurtled into the clearing and stared around wildly. Moonpaw stepped back and curled her tail around the kits, she didn't like the look on his face. Tinypaw padded up to him and mewed to him, waving her tail. He blinked at her blankly and stumbled over to Creamflower. Moonpaw sat down, hiding the kits in her fur. Shadow pressed his nose into Creamflower's fur and looked up, "Have you seen my daughters? I know where my son is." Moonpaw shot Tinypaw a sharp look and shook her head, "No, we haven't seen them. Where is your son, though?" she mewed. Curling her tail around the kits, who had fallen asleep. Shadow sighed and his shoulders sagged, "Swiftpaw stole him. I dragged her out of the river and while I was hunting she ran off with my son. I tried to track them down, but she attacked me when I found them. I couldn't fight a trained Clan cat when I was that tired." he mewed. Tinypaw tipped her head, "That doesn't sound like Swiftpaw. Are you sure that was Swiftpaw? Are you sure that's what happened?" she mewed. Shadow whipped around, lips curled back, "Yes! She tried to kill me! I had to run! She said if I followed her again she'd kill my son, too. I promised I'd track her down and get my kit back, killing her if I needed to. But I have to rest first." he growled. Tinypaw stepped back and flattened her ears. Moonpaw crouched down, ear pricked forwards in surprise. Tinypaw shook her fur out, "Let's stay here, bury Creamflower and rest. Then we can find Swiftpaw and your kits." she mewed. Shadow nodded and grabbed Creamflower's scruff before pulling her into the trees. Moonpaw put Silverkit and Greykit in the nest with Cherry and Ruby. Tinypaw bounded over to her, "We're leaving after we bury Creamflower. Something is wrong with Shadow, something I can't fix. I think losing his mate and his kits being missing hurt him a lot." she whispered. Moonpaw nodded, "Ok. Let's go bury Creamflower." she mewed, padding into the trees. 

(author's note)

I've been working on this chapter a week(?) Yeah,  a week sounds about right. I don't know why, but I did and I think I turned out well. So yay!