Conflicted

Sorry it's been so long. :) Thank you for sticking with me though. Thank you for reading, voting and leaving me comments. :) :)  I hope you enjoy this one and again, I'm sorry it's late. 

Huge thanks to SilasAggeleMou for her usual hard work in making this readable. :)

Owen's POV

"We know a little. Obviously, without speaking to them, we don't know how much they are aware of." I watched her closely as I spoke.

"Do they know about me?"

She was seated between Silas and Nathan on the sofa. The rest of my brothers were hovering close to her, sentries on guard over their—our—queen.

"I could find nothing to indicate they do, but I couldn't find anything to indicate they didn't either," Victor answered her. He sat cross legged, close to her knees, his laptop balanced on his thighs.

She rubbed her forehead and I saw Sean step a little closer. He had a frown of concern between his eyes and I knew that I reflected it, at least inside. It would seem that Sang couldn't even enjoy a week's peace without something upsetting her.

"Robert McGovern is the founder of McGovern Lawyers," Victor spoke up. "They're rich, super rich. But they're old money as well. Well, as old as you can get in this country," he carried on. "Made their fortune in the railways. McGovern Steel. I can trace it down through the generations and each one had made their own fortune adding to the vast wealth, including marrying well. Your great-grandfather, Robert, had two brothers. Both died as children. He married into another rich society family, Eleanor Earles, from the Earles—"

"Earles department store?" Gabriel asked.

Victor nodded. "A good match by both sides. They had three daughters, Esmeralda, Daphne, and Claudia. All three also made good matches and Esmeralda, your grandmother, married Truman Marshall. Another lawyer. He was already a partner in his own smaller firm, but your great-grandfather amalgamated the firms and it became McGovern and Marshall. They had a son, Archibald. He was killed in Vietnam. They were childless for many years and then Rosemary, your mother came along."

"So Sang comes from money. Where's the connection with her father and Rosemary? How did they meet?" Nathan asked.

"I haven't found that yet. If it was common knowledge at the time, it's been buried and buried well. All obituaries for Rosemary's death, and there were many, report her death as sudden and unexpected to natural causes."

"My step-mother said it was suicide."

"They wouldn't have wanted that to get out," Victor said. "They're from society, Princess. Reputation and the family name is second only to the money in the bank, and in some cases, is more than money in the bank. There are no mentions of her being pregnant, no mention of you at all. You were illegitimate, she was the heir to a fortune, she was marketable, until she became pregnant under age and by someone married and years older than herself. It would have been a PR disaster."

"Do you think they knew about her though? I mean the McGoverns we met tonight." I noticed that she didn't call them her great-grandparents.

"Hang on." Kota lifted a hand. "We're working under the assumption that they are Sang's biological family. It could be just one huge coincidence still. We can't know anything until we get that face match back from the Dr Roberts."

They looked at me and I shook my head. "Nothing has come back yet." I told them. I had asked for the picture Sang had given us from her locket to be compared to pictures of Rosemary Marshall. But Dr Roberts had yet to get back to me on it. In all fairness I had only asked twenty minutes ago.