7 | Her story

At 1 am I got in my car and plugged the address into my phone. It beeped, and it told me it would take 45 minutes. Fuck, I was going to be late. Where the hell was this place?  The label read, Montgreene Village. For god's sake, this was in a whole 'nother town! I scrolled through the list thinking it might have been the wrong option, but it was the only thing that came up. I pulled out of the driveway and sped down the street going way past the speed limit. If I sped up, I might make it on time. The scenery was flying by. This was another piece f evidence as to someone knowing where she'd gone. She couldn't talk to me in our town at all apparently so here we were half an hour outside of it. 

When I got to the spot, it turned out to be a small diner, with a big lit up sign and was surprisingly, still open. I parked the car, slightly praying I wasn't about to get murdered. That would kinda put a damper on senior year. 

Inside the diner, it was quiet aside from an older man sitting at the counter bar and a waitress wiping down a table. There was low music coming from a radio in the corner of the room. The whole place looked almost like something that shouldn't exist anymore. It was as if it was pulled straight out of the past, with no modern appliances and the checkered curtains. The whole place just seemed a little, off somehow. 

"You're late."  I met eyes with the owner of the voice. Allison was leaning against the very end of the countertop, arms crossed. She was wearing gray joggers, a tank top and a light cardigan with her hair half back. I couldn't stop myself from looking at her for a little longer than necessary before meeting her eyes again.

"I didn't know you wanted to meet this far out." I countered, pulling off my hat. She pointed to a booth and I went and sat down in it, waiting for her to join me. 

"Fair enough."  She gave a sheepish smile before grabbing her satchel that had been on her shoulder and putting it on the table. 

"So who are we hiding from?"  I asked propping my head on one of my hands. 

"What do you mean?"  She finally sat down and I furrowed my brows together. 

"We're all the way in another town to talk about whatever it is you want to talk about,"  I stated. 

"Maybe I just like this place."  She pouted. 

"Whatever just tell me what you want to, I want to go home and go back to bed."  I groaned sitting back int the booth seat. 

I was honestly exhausted but I was lying when I said I'd wanted to leave. I was going to figure out why she left at this rate and man did that get me excited. 

"I just figured you'd want to talk." She smiled a hidden smile.

I drummed my fingers on the table and looked at her, squinting my eyebrows. 

"How'd you get that?" I asked lazily. 

I was trying to sound like I wasn't bursting out of my seat to know what this was about but I hoped I was playing it off. 

"You always look like you're trying to fit puzzle pieces together that just don't fit in your head when I'm around." She looked a little smug; Like she was proud that she'd figured it out at all.

"If you'd just tell me your story maybe I wouldn't have to try." 

"If it was that easy I wouldn't have left in the first place." she looked around like she thought someone was watching us. But the waitress had gone to the kitchen and the old man was two minutes from a coma. 

"So you admit that you left on purpose then?" I was finally getting somewhere and if she kept tripping up like this, I wouldn't have to try after all.

She rolled her eyes and slid the satchel over to me. She stood up and put her hands in her coat pockets.

"I'm going to the bathroom, I do hope you maintain my privacy," she whispered before stalking off. 

For two minutes I wrestled with the idea of searching her bag. Had she meant that I was being given permission to search it for clues? Was this her way of helping me find out what happened? Why was she making this so difficult?

The curious part of me won and I slipped my hands inside quickly, searching for anything at all that might mean something. I pulled out a notebook that on the inside of the front cover had a set of numbers and the words "Issue #58". I took a picture, before sliding everything back in. 

Allison came back a few minutes later smirking, which was the closest to a smile I'd seen from her since her return. 

"Hope you didn't miss me too much." She grabbed her satchel again and started walking out of the diner. 

I sat there shocked that she was just going to leave like this. 

"Hey, Ethan!" I looked up at her, "See you here next weekend." 

The little bell chimed when she left out the same door I'd come in only ten minutes before. I quickly made a note in my phone under where I'd stashed the info I'd collected, "1:57, I searched through her back almost like she'd wanted to, she sets up another meeting."

I wasn't backing down this time. This time I was going to find out what happened to Allison Sharks in the eighth grade that night. I was going to figure out why she was letting me in and what kind of evil she'd seen.