episode 7

The dark hallway smelt of sweat and blood, the humid air heavy as it clung to their skin. Emma's eyes darted around the shadows, keen on finding any sense of movement that had the intent of startling them.

Felix remained focused on walking. His arm was slung over Emma's broad shoulders, her hand wrapped around his wrist as she continued to pull him forward. The strong leg first, the injured leg dragged behind. Peering over his shoulder, Felix eyed the bloody footprints that traced their exact path. He prayed the monster wasn't smart enough to follow them.

Huffs of breath escaped Emma's lips, her side aching. She was thankful that she had been a runner, a frequent fitness addict. Otherwise she would've never had the mental capacity to push through the almost unbearable amount of pain.

If the gash in her side wasn't enough, she now had to support 200 pounds of another human struggling to walk too. But she pushed on, dragging the boy with her, beads of sweat rolling down her pale face.

"Emma" Felix whispered, glancing over at the wince that flashed across her strong face. Emma didn't blink, her eyes set on the door to the office that lay not twenty feet in front of them. "Emma" he repeated, watching her eyes dart to his before returning to the destination.

"What?" Emma breathed weakly. The moment of air that was not devoted to her movement caused an angry burn to stir in her lungs. Biting down on her lip, Emma closed her eyes before taking another step forward.

Felix felt that familiar feeling of guilt well up inside, making his face grow hot. "I'm sorry" he blurted out, watching her curious eyes meet his. He was sorry. He was sorry for making her carry him to the office. He was sorry for making her save him. He was sorry for destroying her trust in him. He was sorry for destroying the one good thing he had.

"You're sorry?" Emma asked with narrowed eyes before slowly shaking her head. "Look, I don't know what exactly you're apologizing for, because honestly, the list of needed apologies is long. But right now isn't the time" she responded sourly, trudging forward.

Eyebrows arched, Felix shook his head. "That's the thing. You don't know that there will be time. I have to tell you, it's eating me alive" Felix spoke, his voice rising as the hysteria set in.

At that moment there was a creak, Emma's eyes growing wide. Every muscle in her body tensed as she forced them both to a stop. Quietly, she surveyed the hallway that was filled with the eery red glow.

"Office. Now" Emma ordered at a voice barely above a whisper. Her pace increased as she dug deep for the strength that would help them close the final gap.

Allowing her strength to seep into him, Felix bit down on his lip, swallowed the tears, and forced himself to put just a little more pressure on his leg. With the added push, the two quickly closed the gap, Emma's bloody hand grabbing the metal door handle before realizing the door handle had been broken.

Taking a deep breath, Emma gave the door a light push. The wood quickly swung open, releasing a high pitched cry that made goosebumps rise on Felix's skin. Emma shot him a worried look, her dark irises full of concern.

But she pulled them inside, quickly shutting the door behind them. Felix stood perfectly still, his muscles rigid. His hand found her arm, squeezing hard.

"Ow" Emma muttered, turning away from the door to face whatever it was that Felix was looking at. "What-" she began before she saw it too.

The office was empty, except for the principle. He was thrown over the main desk, three large gashes stretched across his chest. His arms and legs hung limply over the sides, his pale eyes staring blankly at the ceiling.