Chapter 3: The Father

• Dedicated to Rufus my dog

I looked over at my father, he was a proud lion, and I was proud to be his son. I had some good times with him, and others not so good.

But I remember that night all to clearly, the fire, the fear, and my father. I was just a cub, Koda, my mother and me were all in our den. I was having a nap when my mother and Koda went out to play. I had been in a deep sleep when the fire started, so deep that I didn't wake untill the flaming logs had blocked my escape path. Terrified, I pressed my self to the cave wall. I closed my eyes, wishing for it all to just disappear. I became swallowed up by fear, but in my deep darkness I heard the drumming of hope. It was my father. He was trying to smash the logs down. I heard boom after boom, and then light peirced the darkness and I was saved by my father.

I saw only a glimpse of him after and had only enough time to say "thank you". His wounds had been horrifying to me at the time, he did that to himself for me? the question had been running through my head over and over again, untill the answer came. Yes he did that to himself because he loves you.

I have given him the highest amount of respect I can offer ever since.