Chapter Three

After Thomas woke up, we all headed down to the cafeteria. That time, though, the nurses were carefully observing each and every one of us. I guessed it was because of what Anna did earlier. She was nowhere to be seen. I sat down with Brynne, Daryl, Thomas, and Ivy. Thomas was his normal, quiet. Brynne and Daryl were talkative as usual, and Ivy just listened. I wanted to meet other children- and I also wanted to visit the adult's ward.

Reiko walked up to our table and sat down besides Brynne. "Hello."

"Hi," Brynne smiled warmly at her. Daryl waved. Thomas said nothing.

"Who're you?" Ivy asked.

"Reiko."

"Reiko who?"

"Ando."

"Oh," Ivy murmured. Thomas was shaking and clinging to Brynne's arm.

Reiko smiled at Thomas. "You don't have to be afraid of me."

"That's what they all say," he spoke up after time. "That's what everyone says. And then people get hurt and die because of trust."

"Tommy," Brynne said softly. "Calm down."

"Reiko won't hurt you," I told him. He looked at me for a minute, then nodded. I could tell he was faking.

Reiko stared at her hands, which were shaking. "What's for supper?"

"Baked beans, mashed potatoes, apple sauce," Brynne replied. "There's some other stuff, too."

"Doesn't sound very appetizing, but okay," Reiko frowned.

Brynne frowned, too. "The cooks try their hardest to attempt..." she trailed off, and her glance moved to another table. There was a girl, not much younger than me, sitting alone. I could see her ribs through her tight dress.

Reiko picked the plate in front of her up very suddenly and slammed it into the table. The glass shattered all over her and everyone surrounding her, including me. I screamed. Thomas started hyperventilating, then fainted, falling to the ground.

Reiko's eye twitched, and she flinched, making her whole body jerk. "Sorry. I don't know what's gotten into me."

Two nurses rushed over. One grabbed Reiko and pulled her out of the lunchroom roughly. The other kneeled down beside Thomas.

Reiko started screaming and pulling away from the girl. "I'll go with you if you be gentle, you idiot!"

"You do not have a choice," the nurse grumbled, then they both disappeared. I jumped up and followed.

"Adelaide!" Brynne cried from her spot next to Thomas.

I followed Reiko and the nurse. The nurse was bringing her downstairs. Reiko had given up fighting and was limp in her arms, letting the nurse drag her along. The nurse opened the basement door and walks down. I followed quietly, curious to where she was going. I knew I would likely get in trouble, but that didn't seem important at the moment.

"What's your most favorite item?" Reiko asked the nurse, her voice soft. She sounded extremely misleading, but the nurse clearly couldn't tell. She was ignored as she was pulled into the basement. I slipped in behind them.

"You should show me it sometime. I love to see things like that. It really shows you how different everyone is," Reiko grinned. Again, no answer. She was thrown into a cell. Other rooms surrounded it, looking exactly the same. Metal bars and darkness. Reiko was tied up by the nurse.

"You know this place could get shut down if the government found out that you torture kids here," Reiko said, clearly not caring what was going on.