Chapter Five

The inside of the maze was like a mansion, except it was all grass, flowers, and bushes. The twists and turns made it impossible to know where we were going.

"We should sit for a bit," Ivy suggested quietly. Her breathing was uneasy.

Reiko put her hands over her chest and breathed heavily. She suddenly grinned. "Holy shit. We actually made it out."

"But we left all those other kids and adults..." I mumbled.

"I never caught your names," Brynne kneeled down in front of the twins. The girl smiled. She looked to be very in shape for her age- but it could have been because Daryl carried her for most of the run.

"Lucy," she said, her green eyes shining. She turned to her brother. "This is Liam. We're twins."

"How old are you?" Brynne asked.

"Five," Lucy replied. Liam looked very shy- worse than Thomas. Reiko moved her gaze from the twins to Daryl. He looked dazed and unfocused. Reiko put her hand on his shoulder and stayed quiet. He flinched, and looked at her. He was afraid for a second, then relaxed.

Liam was shivering. Lucy held his hand tightly. I looked at them. "My name is Adelaide."

"Ivy," Ivy gasped for air. I kneeled beside her.

"Breathe, Ivy."

"I'm Brynne," Brynne smiled at the twins.

"Daryl," Daryl mumbled.

"Reiko."

Lucy's eyebrow twitched. She was staring in between Reiko and I, her expression confused. "Who's the other person?"

"What other person?" Reiko asked flatly. Lucy blinked a few times, then smiled again.

"Oh, nobody. Like Doctor Wooding said, it's just the meanies in my brain acting up."

Schizophrenia, I thought.

Reiko frowned. "Okay. We should go."

Daryl kneeled down. "Hop on, Ivy." Ivy wheezed and got on his back. Reiko was still staring at him.

Liam whimpered and clung to Lucy. She hugged him tightly. "It'll be okay."

Reiko started to walk down the dark path. The rest of us followed. I opened Grandpa's journal up. Suddenly, lettering started appearing on the blank pages. Patient reports?

Lucinda Carey

Age 5

Patient admitted to Kingston Asylum after her parents began noticing she was seeing things they couldn't. Her family, being religious, believed she was being possessed by a demon. Treatment is being performed by Doctor James Wooding.

Liam Carey

Age 5

Patient admitted to Kingston Asylum a month after his sister, Lucinda. Symptoms of severe anxiety and trust issues. He depends on Lucinda for almost everything. Treatment is being performed by Doctor James Wooding.

My eyes widened. They appeared out of nowhere!

"I suppose none of you have a map?" Reiko asked us.

Everyone shook their heads. I was silent. I slipped the bracelet over my wrist, and time seemed to pause. The maze got light, and I could see. Small, glittery balls of light appeared in front of me, forming a line. I took the bracelet off. "I know where to go."