23 | Exposed

What if there are no damsels in distress?
What if I knew that, and I called your bluff?

LEXCORP TOWER
Nov 2, 08:00

The sun finally roused me awake and while I may have failed my mission last night, I laid content under Lex's purple silk sheets. The fear I had earlier that morning was gone and for the first time in months, I actually looked forward to something besides killing Batman.

With a smile on my face, I looked behind me only to be met with an empty bed. My smile faded and my chest began to feel like someone was pouring cement inside of it. Sitting up, I looked around the large, grey bedroom. His clothes were gone, his phone was gone, and he was gone. I clenched my jaw and smirked as I called out, already knowing the answer.

"Lex?"

Nothing.

Scoffing to myself, I shook my head as I realized I could be both stupid and naive. I floated out of the bed and used Luthor's landline.

"Hey, Mauve... Yeah, I need an entire replacement... No, it worked great... Put it on Luthor's account. Thank you." I hung up and put on my battle tested suit and thanked the gods my walk of shame would be hundreds of feet in the air.

I left, without note and without spite--aside from the new suit purchase. All I wanted was to never let anyone that close to me again.

---

After the attack on Metropolis, things were going according to plan. Public opinion believed-thanks to biased news coverage-that the damage was indirectly caused by the Justice League. Because of the backlash spearheaded by G. Gordon Godfrey, the heroes stayed out of the public eye allowing our prospective partners to be able to work with minimal chance of being found out.

While the Light was satisfied with current events, I wasn't. I was Plan A for killing Superman and when I failed-despite Savage saying preparations were made for every contingency-I hated that I didn't even manage to kill Batman. And to put salt in an open wound, I let myself be fooled into spending the night with Luthor at his request only to wake up alone.

So I threw myself in my work. While a growing group of the populace was unsatisfied with the heroes, the majority still believed aliens like Superman and Martian Manhunter were perfectly qualified to 'protect' us. After video was leaked of me saving people from the Wonder Duo, I began a series of public appearances with Godfrey to show Metropolis and the world that there was another option.

METROPOLIS
Nov 20, 15:00

Gordon Godfrey was speaking to a filled arena as I waited for my cue back stage. The turnout grew exponentially with each one of his speeches but that wasn't a shock. At least, not to someone who knew who he truly was. I guess one could say that the Glorious Godfrey had a way with words.

While I waited, I checked my phone the umpteenth time only to be met with a blank notification screen. Disgusted with myself, I shoved it back into my utility belt and returned my attention to Godfrey.

"The villains that the League and their sidekicks claimed to be protecting us from were the real heroes! They only wanted to overthrow our overlords--our ALIEN overlords! Who is to say that these heroes aren't keeping our race down to benefit their own agenda? We have seen undeniable proof that humans can evolve." He waved me forward and I floated to him in my new battle suit and helmet. "You may know this young woman from that horrible day the Justice League destroyed our beautiful city. Pyrrha is an example of how strong our HUMAN DNA is! She didn't need to join a conglomerate to save lives! She saw through the lies and fought back at great cost to her own safety." The crowd cheered wildly.