Chapter 1

I woke up to the sound of Primavera screaming and crying. "You had a bad dream again?" "Yes Katell. It was horrible, really!" Prim says crying. "Shh calm down. It'll be alright. You won't be picked. This is your first year in and your name only gets in once. You'll be okay." I say trying to calm her down. "I can't sleep. Can you stay here with me?" So I stayed with her and she finally fell asleep. It was early morning when I woke up. Nobody was awake so I quietly scrambled out of bed and away from Prim. I put my shoes and coat on, got my bow and arrow, and ran out the door. Archery is absolutely my favorite thing. It's the only thing I can do to get away. I was about to shoot the deer but then Gale came along and scared it away.

"Dang you Gale! I was just about to shoot!" "Sorry cattail." He calls me cattail because when I was little he asked me for my name and he thought I said cattail...pretty humorous, I know. "Look what I got." Gale said. He opened up his hand to some fresh bread. "holy crap Gale! How did you get that?!" I said taking a piece. "I have my ways."

We sat there eating the bread, thinking about what's going to happen today.

"So how many times is your name in the ballad?" I asked Gale. "Oh like 57 times..what about you?" "35 I think. I'm really nervous about Prim, she woke up last night with a nightmare and couldn't sleep, she started screaming and crying so it was pretty bad. I hope she does okay today, she's a strong girl you know?" I said. "Yes she is. Don't worry Cattail she"ll be alright." We talked a little bit more than it was time to go get ready so I left and went home.

When I walked in the house, mother was getting Prim ready. "Tuck in your tail, little duck." I said to her. "You look pretty! Look at my little Prim dressing all up" "I wish I was as beautiful as you." Prim said. "Oh hush. Let mom get your hair ready, I'll go bathe and I'll be right out okay?" I said as I walked away to get ready.

I bathed than got dressed in this old dress my mother used to wear. Mother did my hair Ina braid to the side. Prim's hair was in two braids.

After getting ready, we left to go to The Reaping.