Chapter One

Chapter 1

It was the first day of winter when it happened. It may have been a perfectly typical morning for the normal people out there, but it certainly wasn't for those who were far from ordinary. Nervous people could be seen everywhere in the streets of England, whispering, gasping in disbelief, and hurriedly searching for someone to deny the undeniable. Could it be true? Or was it just some ridiculous rumor being spread by even more ridiculous mouths? How could it be possible? Morgadot was known as the safest prison of the Five Kingdoms, the kind of place prisoners could only dream of escaping. Even then, Alanel was above them all - he was the most guarded prisoner in history. He was also the most dangerous and evil. Nobody wanted to believe that he had escaped from confinement. Not only was it nearly impossible, but if true, his escape would mean a catastrophic event for everyone. That, of course, was only acknowledged by unusual people. And they were the only ones worried about it, until three days later, the horror began.

It even appeared in the news. Thirteen children had suddenly disappeared. Franklin, Debra, and Spencer were only a few names on a list that seemed to grow larger each passing hour. It was heartbreaking to hear the desperate parents on the news who knew nothing of the whereabouts of their children. "What was happening?" was the question in every mouth in the country. What had those children done? Why them? All those questions were left unanswered. Among many doubts, there was a fact: All of them were seventeen years old.

Suddenly, everyone was in a panic. From the north to the south of England, horrified parents were glued in front of the TV, desperate to know where the last disappearance had occurred. They relied on the alerts to tell them whether to further strengthen the security of their homes. The truth is that children were evaporating as if the night had swallowed them, as it does with the frozen breath of night walkers.

No one seemed to go for evening walks in those days, as the authorities had recommended not to. Each house was sealed by sundown, as though in preparation for a real battle. The windows were covered to prevent anyone who might have been looking in from outside.

Families slept together in one room to protect each other in case something strange happened, or they took turns keeping vigil. The scene was repeated in every home, and that of the Percivals was no exception.

"What are you reading?" Maddie asked, taking Prudence by surprise as she took the book away.

"Give it back!" Prudence demanded, her slender and delicate figure jumping to try to snatch the book back. Her forest green gaze was fixed on the book, and her hair the same color as almonds glowed under the light of her reading lamp. There were few things that bothered Prudence, and one of them was touching her books. Obviously, anyone who loved books so much as she did would hate their prized possessions being manipulated by hands able to hurt them.

"This is not funny, Madeleine," said Prudence. She only used Maddie's full name when she was angry with her.

"Of course it is. Brunhild used her magical skills to control the swords of their enemies," Maddie read in a loud, mocking voice, which made Prudence angrier.

"Better use your magic powers to move your feet down the stairs and to the dining room. Dinner is ready," she said finally.

The aromas of a delicious dinner wafted up the stairs.

Sitting around the table were Bram and Doreen Percival, with their two children, Maddie and Carter, who were seventeen- and ten-years-old respectively.

The Percivals were a typical family of Cambridge. Bram was an employee of Cambridge Alliance Bank, and Doreen had used to be a renowned local artist. Her paintings had sold well, until osteoarthritis seized her hands and she couldn't paint anymore, due to the sudden tremors and constant pain in her joints. Lately, she spent her time as a mother, wife, and homemaker.