Not My Patient, Not Your Doctor

The Doctor's POV

I had not done so on purpose, but after a few minutes of laying in the pretty uncomfortable camp bed, I had dozed off to sleep. In the dream, I saw monkeys peeking out of the trees and throwing bananas at Rose and me as we had kissed right outside of the bathrooms. Then Mickey, a fellow student who was in some other cabin, had come out of a huge cave - except he had been brandishing a finely cut stick of wood and yelling "Abra Kedabra!" and blasted Rose and I apart from each other.

"Um...hey," a voice woke me up from my strange dream. I popped open my eyes and saw Hermione awkwardly standing - clearly on her tiptoes - so that she could gaze upon me. "It's, uh, time for dinner if you...if you wanted to come and...well, you know...eat. Yeah, I'll see you then - I mean, if you are coming to dinner. It's entirely your choice, though! I don't care what you do, no, I-"

"I'm coming," I cut her off before she said anymore. She was probably great at discussing things with people and debating, but she was too apologetic when she talked to me - so apologetic that it was to a point of annoyance.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed and looked down, quickly calculating the drop. It would be about 6 feet...not that big of a deal at all, saying that I was 6'1". Just as I was propping my hands on the wood to boost myself down, Hermione gave a shriek and scurried over to the exact spot I was preparing to land in. I automatically pulled my lips down into a frown and shook my head imperceptibly.

"You can't jump!" Hermione protested. "You could hurt yourself! Just use the ladder, that's so much safer."

"I was going to, but you were standing in the way," I mumbled beneath my breath, so softly that she couldn't hear me, but I gave in and shuffled over to the ladder.

"Well...I'll go now," Hermione said with a nervous giggle, although the reasoning behind the laugh was unclear to me. "I'll let you do whatever you need to do to get ready. See you at dinner, I suppose." She walked across the small space to the door, her flats making slight thumps each time she took a step. Just as she was opening the creaky door and as I placed a sure footing on the topmost step, she whipped back around and said, "Oh, and don't forget that we're going to the bonfire after dinner! Well, not we - just, you know, the...whole camp. Yeah. So, um, bring a sweatshirt or whatever. Yeah, okay, see you." Her cheeks flushed a dark red and she stood there for a moment as if her feet were glued to the floor, staring at me with a dazed expression. She blinked after a few seconds and shook her head, just realizing that she had been doing nothing but staring at me, and hurriedly escaped into the outdoors.

Once she was gone, I hopped down onto the floor and looked down at what I had thrown on this morning. I wasn't all that there in the early hours of the day, being much more concerned about what was going to happen in the following two months, so I had only thrown on the first shirt that my reaching hand had felt. Not only being wrinkled from the unexpected nap, but the shirt was one that I had gotten years ago, and it was shorter than I preferred.

Thankful that Hermione had left me some privacy, I hurriedly rummaged through my trunk and put on a plaid button-down after deciding that, since it was our first dinner, I should dress somewhat nicely to make an impression. Something in the back of my mind was telling me that I was only wearing this shirt because Rose liked the color blue, but I ignored that thought. It had been an accident, and we would have no more moments like that together. She had Jack, and I had...nobody.

Closing my eyes tightly and then opening them after ten seconds, I violently pushed away the feeling of when she had leaned in closer to me and determinedly walked out of Cabin 10, closing the door behind me just a little bit louder than I should've. I didn't grab a sweatshirt.