two

luke

i moved to brooklyn about a month ago, maybe three weeks. it's a nice city, not the worst i've lived in. it was never my plan to live here. but sometimes, life is just impractical.

i was offered a job at a prestigious law firm, a good job. a seven figure paying job.

working in law isn't my favorite thing. fuck, it's not even what i wanted to go to college for, but my family has a reputation to uphold.

i come from a family that produces impeccable lawyers, at least one in every generation. we eat, sleep, and breathe justice. we learn everything there is to learn about the criminal justice system and then put it to use in some of the country's most high profile cases.

but it's fucking boring.

it's a power rush, yes. it suits my personality. but jesus, all the work that goes into a single day in court is ridiculous. i can't stand it.

the only thing i look forward to most days is that girl.

the apartment i just moved into is in an incredibly convenient place. right across from my window is the most gorgeous girl i have ever seen. she plays piano and never sleeps.

and by quietly stealing her student id on the subway i followed her into, i found out her name. calliope.

she didn't notice because she hasn't seen me yet, but we had a close call a few days ago. i was watching her get dressed, as i do most mornings, and just as she was pulling her jeans up her perfect long legs, she turned.

she looked into my eyes for a split second before i slammed my curtains shut and stepped back from the window.

she saw me.

she knows i watch her now.

i guess i have to make a move.

i've seen a man come into her room to speak to her, probably her father, but i've never seen any other family anywhere near her. and i've also seen her best friend, who yells quite a lot, but rides the subway while holding her hand to keep my baby safe from pedophiles and the grabby hands of other filthy men.

i'll have to repay her for that one day, when calliope is mine and i get the chance to hang out with her darling friend any time i want.

i'm so lucky to live across from this angel. this little perfect girl, all mine.

she doesn't know she's mine, but she'll know soon enough.

does it even matter? she'll know soon enough, when i finally get the courage to talk to her. i never knew talking to a girl could be so hard, i don't usually have trouble with it.

this is pathetic. she's a child, really, i shouldn't be afraid to speak to her. there's nothing frightening about her, she looks like a doll.

hm. a perfect doll.

does my baby ever stop playing piano? the way her hands fly over the keys is quite impressive, but it's still dark outside and she's already up.

her window is open, and i have the best seat in the house for this performance.

time to take a chance.

i push my window up even further to lean out and listen closer, and take a deep breath.

calliope

"so you can play mozart. but should a little thing like you be up so late?"

my hands immediately stop moving and i swear my heart skips a few beats.

"w-what?" i look around the room, and then out the window, trying to locate the deep voice.

"it's late, baby. you should be in bed."

i look across the alley to the other window, and there's the man from earlier, leaning on his windowsill with his head out the window to look at me.

god, he's beautiful.

"i'm fine. this helps me sleep. i'm so sorry if it woke you, i can close my window." i offer, hoping he'll just go away so i can play some more.

instead, he smiles.

"no, it's okay. you play very well, did you teach yourself?"

"i took lessons when i was little. i taught myself from there."

he just nods, a smile still playing on his lips. "lovely. could you play some more for me?"

"i-i'm actually going to try to sleep. goodnight, sir."

"goodnight darling. and shut your window before you fall asleep, we wouldn't want anyone coming in and taking you, would we?" he's still smiling, but it's almost a smirk now. i nod, speechless, watching him close his window and pull the curtains shut.

what does he want with me?