four

forgot to mention in the intro to this book that it is an underage relationship. i do not condone it but i used it for story purposes.

calliope

"i'm luke. nice to meet you."

luke. i would never have guessed the mystery man's name was luke.

i can't even sit still in class anymore. even serena has caught on. earlier today she asked me what the problem was, and i had to lie and say i was just tired and having a hard time focusing. i can only fool her for so long, and i feel bad about doing it.

even now, sitting in the car with my best friend, i'm being deceitful. she drives cautiously and the radio plays softly while i sit and pray she won't ask any questions.

she stops outside my building and looks over at me. "i don't know what's going on. but if you need me, promise you'll tell me?"

god damn it callie, now she thinks you're losing it.

"i will. i promise i'm okay, serena. i love you" i give her a small smile before getting out of her car and walking casually until i open the door to my building, then i begin to almost sprint.

until i crash into something very sturdy that knocks me straight to the floor.

"well hi, doll. nice to see you." he-luke- grins down at me, extending a hand to help me up. i don't take his hand, i just press my hands to the ground and push myself up.

"what are you doing in my building?" i ask, skipping the formalities. i didn't want to be rude to a stranger, but he had been too close to me for days. it made me nervous but so intrigued. i hadn't ever seen anyone as attractive as him.

"is that any way to greet a friend? and for your information, i have a client in this building who needed my attention, so i made my way over. any other questions, little doll?"

i shake my head and dust off my skirt, contemplating what to say. just as i start to walk away, he speaks.

"can i walk you back to your apartment? wouldn't want a little thing like yourself to get lost, or have some strange man bother you on your way."

there's been a strange man bothering me for days, i think.

"i'm fine, thank you. have a good day sir." i say quickly, giving him a small polite smile as i start to walk to the elevator, when he reaches out and grabs my wrist.

"please. i just worry for your safety, darling. let me take you at least to your floor, i won't bother you all the way to your door." he promises. i don't believe it, but it's better to let him accompany me than to cause a scene in the lobby where everyone will see.

"fine." i say softly, leading him to the elevator and stepping in.

luke

i stand with my back against the wall of the elevator as calliope stands opposite me. she doesn't say anything and she stares at the ground, and i almost regret following her. almost.

"so, you're in school right? what school?" i ask politely, trying to make small talk.

"st. ignatius. it's my third year there." she replies.

yes, i know from your school id with your darling photo.

"do they have good music classes there? that does seem to be your passion," i note as the elevator doors open to her floor.

"yes they do. i'll see you around sir. have a great day." she says dismissively as she leaves the elevator, and the doors close again before i can say anything.

it's the closest i've gotten to her apartment, and though i do intend to get even closer, this is a good start. but i am irritated by how she calls me sir, i'm a humble man but i know i don't look that old. certainly not old enough to be a sir, at least not in an everyday setting.

in the privacy of my own home, sure.

but she is such a charming and polite girl. thoughts of my calliope take up my mind as i exit her building and head home, taking off my suit that wasn't at all necessary. i had an informal meeting with a client in her building, but i wore a suit with the hopes of really seeming like i was there for business.

i know she bought it. and i noticed the way she looked me up and down when we bumped into each other.

at least i know what she likes.

calliope

i spent the rest of the night thinking about him. i couldn't believe how rude and pushy he was, it was infuriating. but at the same time, he was so attractive.

i didn't think he was much older than me, maybe twenty-three or twenty-four, but it was hard to tell.

i sat down at my desk to work on a school assignment, the window in my room open and the curtains blowing around. i hoped getting a head start on the assignment would keep my mind off the mysterious man, because being home alone, i didn't have much to occupy my mind. it was easy for me to lose myself to my thoughts.

as an only child with a parent who worked a demanding job, i did mostly live alone. serena was almost always in my house with me, but having a friend over is different from having a guardian figure or sibling to be around. i relied on myself to be responsible, making me mature beyond my sixteen years.

i sighed heavily and slammed my textbook shut. it was no use to try to work, nothing i wrote was coherent or intelligent. i switched the music playing on my speaker from calming classical to a more upbeat playlist.

she worked her way through a cheap pack of cigarettes
hard liquor mixed with a bit of intellect

i let the music move me as i stood and started to clean up my room. there was dirty clothes and sheet music everywhere, and i danced as i slowly picked things up. the sheet music was the least of my worries as i started to find overdue assignments and reports under the stacks of paper. i groaned as i found my latest report card.

my grades were average but nothing exceptional. music was my focus and it always had been, as soon as i was big enough to reach the pedals and keys of a piano at the same time.

"could you turn that down please? i have real work to do." the familiar deep voice speaks.

my frustration with him was building, and i was past being polite.

"fuck off, you didn't have work to do when you were watching me dress last week." i shoot back, slamming my window shut so i wouldn't hear his response.

i had a sneaking feeling i would pay for that.

hi!! i know i let this book die and i apologize. but i've had a little inspiration lately and this book was my baby so i'm trying again. i'm also going to try to work on accomplice today.

if you were wondering, i listened to lana del rey, the nbhd and troye sivan while writing this. lana usually sparks my creativity and i just had spotify on her radio.

i hope you all enjoyed and you can look forward to hearing more from me soon. xx