three

(hi friends, i know it's been quite a while. i'm sorry. i've been dealing with things in my personal life that have taken most of my motivation for writing. at one point i even thought about turning this story over to serene, but she has enough on her plate with her own books. please bear with me as i try to continue this story, and thank you to those of you who have sent me kind messages.
gracie)

luke

she consumes my thoughts. every waking moment, i think about this girl. this goddess.

it's insane. i can't forget about her, and as i sit here and listen to her play piano from my window, i realize that i'm infatuated.

"angel? can you play something new? i heard this one last night." i call across the alley.

all i hear is the sound of a window slamming shut in response. damn it.

she clearly doesn't want anything to do with me. can you blame her?

lucky for her, i never take no for an answer.

i have to figure out some way to get closer to her without frightening her or frankly, getting arrested. i did steal the poor thing's school id, and a single man probably ten years her senior chasing her around does not look innocent from any perspective.

"calliope! calliope, please honey. i want to talk. open your window," i plead, knowing that with the proximity of our windows, she'll hear me even if hers is closed.

i hear the sound of a window sliding open. thank god, i was really embarrassing myself there.

"stop calling me honey and maybe i'll decide to talk to you. uh- sir." she adds and i smile.

"fine. do you prefer calliope, or do you shorten it?" i ask, trying to seek polite and personable. i try to seek for her face in the window, but she still has her gauzy white curtains drawn.

"calliope, unless i decide you're not a creep. then maybe, just maybe, you can call me callie." she declares. "but for the record, i still believe you're a creep." i hear the uncertainty in her voice every time she speaks to me, even when she tries to sound tough, and i realize that she's genuinely afraid of me.

i sigh. "calliope, i'm sorry we met under such... strange circumstances. i really would like to get to know you. i've been hearing music every day since i moved in. it would be nice to know the girl who makes it."

she starts to say something, then stops herself. after what feels like forever, she speaks.

"okay. fine. but please don't do anything scary or creepy. and please don't reach across the alley to grab me." calliope says quietly.

"calliope, if i tried to reach for you i would fall and die. trust me, you're safe from me reaching across and taking you. and for the record, that's not what i want to do anyway. kidnapping is for losers."

i hear her giggle softly. "okay fine. so what's your name?"

daddy to you, sweetheart.

"i'm luke. nice to meet you."