Ashe

The city seemed a bit chaotic tonight. At least, some people were celebrating a win for the tigers in the Olympics they created. Each faction had teams much like their human counterparts. Ashe sat on her couch and watched a boring rerun of a news story. With a sigh, she stood and turned off the TV. "Maybe I should get a drink," she told herself, " and if I am lucky, I might meet somebody." She sighed and went to her room, looking for something a little more glamorous than sweat pants and a tee shirt with a band on it. Ashe could hear the couple arguing next door again and sighed once more.
    She had already complained once before as had many other occupants, but nothing seemed to work. They always got away with it somehow. Ashe never really knew why. When she finished getting ready, she left for the bar. Ashe headed out in her car.
    The highway seemed lonely tonight, yet it beckoned to her as if a long lost sibling or friend she hadn't seen in a while; even though she frequented the highway many times, day and night. Even the cities seemed ghost town like, and they were full of people. She stopped at a bar and sat down, ordering a water and the guy scoffed. "You're at a bar. You pregnant or somethin'?" Ashe stared coldly at him. "No. Now get me the water or I will take my business elsewhere." She was tired of everybody trying to get into her business. What was it to him if she was? Her eyes fell to her hands on the counter. It had been years since she last saw her mother, and the few that knew her told Ashe that she reminded them of her mother. "Spitting image " they would say. Nobody spoke of her father. Rumor had it that he was leading an experiment but rumors came and gone a lot in the town.
    Seemed most of the time people paid Ashe no real mind except when they had to. It was like she was invisible to them. The bar tender brought her water. "Tap" he said. Ashe drank it and looked at an odd scar on her wrist. As far as she knew, it had been there since she could remember yet there was no memory of how she got it. Most of her younger memories were fuzzy at best. Some days she felt like they had been purposely erased. Her eyes fell to a man sitting a few stools down. He seemed to be watching her every move.
    With a quick motion, Ashe stood to go to the restroom. The man didn't move an inch. When she came back, he continued to watch her. After paying for the water, she went to her car. The man got into a car parked four away and began to follow her. Suddenly, she knew something was wrong.