Chapter 14

I parked my car in its usual parking spot. I walked out with my mug in hand, and made my way into the hospital. I went to the front and said hello to the Nurse Jill in charge of today's front desk, and signed in to the "visiting hours" list. I sat down in my usual seat by the window of the waiting room. No matter how many times I have gone through this new routine, I always sat and anxiously waited for any form of news from the doctor. minutes later mom, Mario, and Luke came in through the door. What followed after the gunshot was a blur to me. I couldn't help but remember what happened that day.

Flashback

Ringing, that was all I could hear after hearing the sounds of gun shots being fired. I turned to face Gabrielle, one second she was standing by the doorman talking, the next she was on the floor. Everything went by slowly. Luke and I ran to her side, yelling at everyone nearby to call the ambulance. I held my little sister and screamed like I've never screamed before.

My phone rang, I didn't have to look down to see who it was. After reading the message "ya ves lo que causas, see what you have caused."... all I saw was red. My screams faded and the ringing in my ears continued.

Luke grabbed onto my phone, trying to see what I saw that caused me to go cry harder.

He smashed my phone against the wall and continued to yell at someone to call the ambulance.

He grabbed me, his hands full of her blood, he grabbed onto me, he didn't say "Everything is going to be okay", he didn't try to shush me. He simple held me as I held her small figure in my arms. These emotions, I've felt them before. When the doctor told me I lost Belle, this was exactly what I was feeling. 

I had her in my arms and her blood continued to pool around us until we were surrounded by blue and red flashing lights. 

End of flashback

It took few words for me to understand and know who caused this.

It has been four months, and my sister has been in a coma throughout the whole time. The doctors and nurses have been by Gabrielle's side since the second she was sent here.

Every morning, I come early and arrive to the hospital the second they open. I buy myself a muffin in the cafeteria and sit, playing my endless waiting game. Every other hour a nurse walks in and just smiles at me, this has grown to be our silent conversation for the past month. Their smile always signifying "I'm sorry, we are still trying".

As Luke walks in, he holds a brown bag and passes it to my mom and Mario, he gets them breakfast every morning. We all sit in a silence, eating our breakfast in unison and wait patiently for another smile from another nurse.

Luke turns to me and grabs a hold of my hand, giving it a gentle reassuring squeeze. I give him a squeeze back and we stay that way.

A week after what happened to Gabrielle I decided to tell my mother everything. The abuse I was going through with Kevin, and I even went as far as telling her the reason why her first grandchild had died. She has been silent with me ever since then.

Mario knows too, I told him the same time I told my mother and he ran out of the house in anger, in hopes to find Kevin and have justice be done. We tried to stop him but there was no use. He was long gone.

He called me hours later, he was at my penthouse and told me there were no signs of Kevin being there. Everything was gone, almost as if he was never there.

Yesterday I made the decision to file a demand to Kevin, I filed the demand with a different officer and succeeded. The case was now being processed and viewed. The officer brought in more policemen to interview my mother, Mario, and myself.

We have been staying at the same hotel throughout the whole time we have been waiting for a response from Gabrielle. The owner being a close friend of Kevin, he gave us the chance to stay in the penthouse free of charge.

It was now 10 at night and we were all arriving back to the hotel from the hospital. As usual, my mother didn't say anything to me, she went straight to her room. Mario gave me a gentle hug, we traded "goodnight" and he went into his room. I stood alone in the kitchen now with Luke. he had his cup of coffee and I had mine.

We sat across from each other quietly. It felt like hours passed by. I heard Luke gasp and I looked up. He was crying.

I let go of my mug and held his hand for support. Next thing I knew I felt tears of my own fall down my cheeks. I couldn't say anything and neither could he. We sat there silently for hours crying together.

Hours passed by and we managed to move to the couch, me leaning on him watching random shows. We somehow stopped on Friends and fell to a comfortable silence.

The hotels phone rings and I get up to get it quickly. My fingers barely touch the phone when Luke pushes me off to the side.

He pushed me enough for me to take a few steps back and I turned to see Luke.

"Luke what's wrong?" I asked

"Bee you don't know who could be calling. Look what time it is." He said.

I Looked at him angrily, "how the fuck do you know that's not a call about Gabrielle Luke!?" I half yelled. Instant regret clouded over me as I saw his reaction. All I thought about was that it could have been Doctor Ray, the one watching over Gabrielle.

I pick up the phone and take a deep breath before I say anything. But before I could say something, the person on the other side beat me to it, and at that moment I've never felt fear like I did before.

"Amor"