surgery from Bailey's

Frankly it's been far too long and it's not fair for you guys to wait forever. I am just not motivated to write. You see this year final exams I was seriously studying. That is shockingly true. So no excuses now I am gonna go ahead and write some notes of mine.

Well well I am taking directly from Bailey's which is a standard book for surgery. How fancy.

Well today I am going to talk about leprosy. As you can see I am not a doctor yet and this involves only simplest of explanations. So I was inspired to write after so many people have added mine to their reading lists. For you people.

                        LEPROSY

LEPROSY is also known as hansen's disease. It is a infection by mycobacterium leprae. It's a bacteria. As in the words of bailey it accounts about seventy eight percent of the diesease is in india.

Close contact over a long time produces the diesease spread.
The bacteria inhabits the colder parts of the body such as ear and nasal.mucosa which is nose. It also affects facial nerve. A nerve that runs in face of course. See it's not that difficult!(kidding)

Back to the point, the person may have contacted the diesease during childhood or early adolescense. But the bacteria can act on the body after any time after all these years.

There are two groups of leprosy. Borderline and tuberculoid.

You see borderline type means there is decreased immune response meaning the person's immunity is depleted. So there is more damage. The bacilli(bacteria) disseminated in the tissues is with macrophages which is a type of white blood cell(wbc)

Now you remember wbc right? It is a body's immune response to a particular foreign antigen. Now antigen is a thing that affects the body which can be a bacteria,virus,fungus or a parasite.

So wbc is like a chief commanding officer that commands soldiers like macrophages,lymphocytes neutrophils,eosinophils to do the dirty work. Meaning they all are wbc subtypes. Now before you get too confused about all of this, I just want you to remember that in case of foreign infiltration wbc's will come running alright?

Now what are we talking about again? Borderline leprosy right?so it causes more damage on the body.

Lepromatous leprosy opposite thing happens. The body's response is strong to this one so there are only little amount of bacilli in the tissues. Hope you understand guys.

Transmission is through nasal secretion.
It is due to poor sanitary conditions

Now you got a glimpse on what leprosy really is.