Chapter Thirty Nine

+Ash's POV+

I staggered towards her, dragging myself across the floor to reach her limp body. She was laying motionless with closed eyes.

The man looked at me and scoffed, "You're so pathetic, kid."

"I know." I replied sourly.

As I was about to touch Candice's arm, a sudden crash and splintering of wood interrupted the otherwise silence. My head snapped to a nearby door. The sounds of gunshots going off down the hallway sent my body into a frozen state and my mind panicking, thinking of the worst situations.

A thought left me shaking; another gang attacking their's.

I tried reaching out for Candice again but a wave of nausea and pain wracked my body. I coughed and blood spewed from my mouth onto the floor. My head spun and the edges of my vision began to blur and darken until they were too heavy to keep open.

But there could be possible danger beyond that door. If anything, I could sacrifice myself to save Candice's as mine is not as valuable as hers.

I fought the darkness that threatened to pull me in and used my shaky hands to push myself up off the floor. In my daze, I hadn't realised the man had left the room and yells of orders were being shouted down the hallway by his gruff voice.

When I finally had my upper body off the floor, I kneeled and slowly stood up. My legs shook as uncontrollably as my body and my stomach heaved and twisted painfully, but I still leaned over and hauled Candice into my arms.

I limped at first towards the door, then tripped and almost fell. I dragged my legs and semi-hopped towards it until I could nudge it open with my left shoulder. I hitched Candice's body higher up in my arms as she was sliding down.

The door had opened up to reveal a massive blood bath and bodies covering the floor, the floor now tinted in a metallic red colour.

I stumbled over the bodies, balancing Candice in my arms. Gunshots echoed further down the hall and the thump of bodies made the screaming headache become deafening.

A silhouette of a tall, muscular body came rushing towards us but I couldn't keep my stance up nor my eyes opened. My body crashed to the floor and a soft blanket of flesh covered me as my eyes finally shut, the darkness engulfing me fully. No sounds of bullets or flesh and blood hitting concrete, no pounding in my head, my whole being felt numb and at peace, for once.