.Incoming Call.

Incoming call, the phone's screen read as the device buzzed against my countertop. The caller ID, though somewhat familiar, was not one I remembered in full, so when I answered, I did so with the generic, polite voice.

"Jacob Durante speaking, with whom - "

I was cut off quickly by a rush of words from a wind tunnel of a voice.

"Jay, you have to come quick. Fourth floor, apartment number 2347. Now." I could hear the panic in the now-recognizable voice. He talked too fast for me to be able to put the pieces together in that short moment, during which I think he may have paused to breathe. "She's in lots of trouble this time."

She. Even that powerful word flew past me. My pre-call thoughts had been of finishing this cover letter, and everything this friend said mixed confusingly with what was on my laptop screen.

"Get off your fucking ass, Durante!"

I slammed my laptop shut, even though I didn't know why it was so imperative that I took to the street immediately. I put on my coat, despite not knowing the temperature of the February night. I sprinted from my apartment after locking the door, knowing exactly where I was going, but not why.

My mind raced, as did I. The urgent tone I had heard poured into my veins, as did the winter rain.

She.

I ran faster down the street.