.Too Soon.

"He didn't show a single sign of dishonesty, Harry."

He didn't want to believe it. I could see it in his eyes, how his face fell at the thought of Puke being let loose. I could see how much he truly hated Brown; even though I disliked him, too, primarily for having what I did not, I never expressed my distaste in him. For Harry, emotion expression was always a different story, especially when anger came into play.

"You sure?"

Walking down the street, having already gone over everything there was to review with the detectives. The Saturday was still young, so we just meandered through whatever street was nearest us.

"Last time, he was practically drowning in his own sweat. No signs this time around pointed to lying or anxieties."

The stupid hope on his face melted away. "Well, at least Macy's okay," he mumbled, shrugging his shoulders. That day was a better by means of weather. The sun peaked through the tall buildings, and it was warm enough to bear only a sweater and jeans. "So...what now?"

"The detectives said they can't search for her if she isn't missing."

His mouth curled in another bout of fury. "We can't just let her go off like that! She's somewhere in freaking Maine, and she needs to come back here! She has school to continue, rent to pay. Macy needs to come home, and if she's off with that Ginny Stockman... Who knows what could happen?!"

I shook my head at him. "They can't find that girl anywhere in the systems. Her name and her persona were nonexistent, and the photo doesn't have a license plate or anything in it, so they can't track them."

"Don't we have a break from school this week?"

"Uh, that's a little tangential, don't you think, H?" He shrugged again, then fiddled with his wristwatch. "We do."

"Okay, let's pack our things, then go hunting for clues and for Macy in Maine."

I gave him the only look I could conjure up: one of complete disbelief.

"Come on. There's an Enterprise right up the street. We'll get our shit, then pack up some car and continue hunting for clues. We'll be back by the time school ensues after the week off, and even better, we'll have Macy with us."

At the prospect of having Macy back, an image came to mind.

It was one of bringing her home, then letting her see the deranged Puke Frown, the one that didn't deserve her. Watching her face turn sour toward him, then kicking him in the place where it hurts. I imagined she would then turn back to me, her brown hair floating weightlessly in the air before she leaps at me, mashing her lips on mine, letting me do things with her that we hadn't ever done in our year of dating.

I pushed the thought away. Too soon.

"Fine. We leave this evening."