.Her Hair.

"Will the visitors of Macy Kingston please come here?" a quaint voice said. Harry, Puke, and I all looked up from our phones to see a nurse, maybe a little younger than us.

We moved to the hall which her head peaked out of, and she shut the door behind us. She talked while we walked down the endless hallway. New York hospitals have to be, with such a huge population.

"As you may have noticed, Ms. Kingston sustained a head injury at the top of her skull." Well, duh. "We haven't heard much from the detectives on the scene, but thus far, they believe it was either self-induced or performed by someone she knows."

"What of the mess?" Harry asked. "She'd never demolish her place like that. Too much of a perfectionist."

I only nodded in agreement. The nurse had already opened her mouth to speak again, so I decided it was best fit for me to stay quiet.

"You'll be talking to a certified detective soon enough, but I'd like to venture that that means someone who has access to her apartment or is near and dear to her did it."

We remained silent after that, sending each other looks of question and accusation. I was too worried about Macy to think of anyone else who might have done it, but apparently Puke and Harry were in high enough spirits to have wordless arguments. Naturally, they wished to accuse one another: for starters, they disliked one another with great disdain, and it didn't help that 1. That was how Harry had found Macy, and 2. Harry was the only person around initially.

I was so caught up in watching their battle that the next time I looked up, we were in a room. At the end, a pair of men in white lab coats were having a quite exchange at the bedside of a familiar—but still strange—being.

"Please stay quiet, boys," the nurse said in a whisper. "She's concussed, so any loud noises could really hurt her." She waved her hand toward a pull-out sofa. "Have a seat."

Instead of getting into some scramble for an end seat on the couch—because the center spot of any sofa is deathly uncomfortable—I bolted for the cushion closest to Macy, maybe two feet from her head.

The others nearly landed on top of me, but I shoved them off and quickly fixed my eyes on her. This time, her hair was cleaner, but knowing how smart the doctors must have been, they must have collected as much DNA evidence as they could get.

In a small voice, I said to the doctors, "Did you all do a rape kit?" One of them bobbed his head, and the other one said, "No dice."

I realized that her body looked different as she laid unconscious in that bed. Her body had been dirtied, too, but I couldn't remember what had made her look so unclean in the first place. Blood, maybe? I didn't know, but any way, it scared the hell out of me.

---

Not much happens here, I know, but for the sake of length, the more important things will be revealed in the next chapter.

Thank you for reading!

Please don't forget to vote, comment, add to your library, and spread the word!

-Les