59. Proposal

It was almost noon when I awoke, still entwined with Catherine. We had drifted off to sleep, emotionally drained. She purred quiet snores as I lay there and relaxed, enjoying her presence. My mind had stopped spinning, and I was amazed how empty it was.

Catherine began to stir a quarter-hour or so later, then she opened her eyes, rolled and rose to her elbows. "He's a very sick man. He murdered his wife and brother-in-law, and we don't know how many others to get half this domaine, and he was about to murder me – to murder us to get the rest of it." Pausing, she fixed her gaze on the folded paper still at the foot of the bed. "I don't think Francine would have left him anything in her will."

She pulled the duvet aside and rolled to her hands and knees. As she crawled toward the end of the bed, I said, "That view isn't good for my relaxed state."

She giggled. "Later. Give me a moment with this first."

Then, unfolding Francine's will, she skimmed it. "Nothing! The evil fucker gets nothing. Divided equally between Louis and Pierre."

Still on hands and knees, she turned to look over her shoulder with a big grin. Then, with a little shake of her butt, she asked, "Now, what were you saying about un-relaxing?"

Half an hour later, Catherine lifted onto an elbow and gazed into my eyes. "Stay with me, David. Marry me."

"Are you proposing?"

She smiled and leaned to run her tongue across my lips. "I would love you to take the salvage rights on a second Lady Catherine."