Chapter 8: smoke

Muriel

To say that Leirum was offended by the insolent fool was an understatement. If it were then he wouldn't have refused any general in his presence nor would he deny them of the courtesy to hear their apologies on the fool's behalf.

I could say that what he truly wanted was to crush General Klerk's pride and dignity by forcing the said general to apologize to him. He wanted the guy to apologize since it was the only way to place the general below him and to make the general know his place.

Sooner or later, I know that the other generals or maybe even the soldiers would force the fool to apologize if he didn't want to for they really had no choice. The trump card here was the circle of twelve.

They knew that to fight without the help of the twelve would be a march to their deaths and that would be enough to make them realize the twelve's worth.

It was a cruel disposition if anything but even though that was the case, it was needed to be done. The general did over step his boundaries already. Saying those unpleasant words, insulting us in front of high ranking knights, shaming our names... It was cruel but the general deserved it. The guy needs to learn when to stop.

"Muriel. Are you ready?" Alfreed asked, peeping from the door of my room and I nodded my head as she pardoned and allowed herself in, making me study her appearance.

She wore a full body armor that covered almost all of her skin but her neck was the only part of her exposed asides from her head. Her armor was the usual heavy plates of metal which made me wonder how she could carry such weight but then, she wasn't some normal girl after all. She is a warrior and the strongest of us female rankers.

A sword was in it's sheathe, hanging from the side of her hips and a shiny helmet tucked under her right arm, her flaming red hair tied up in a high pony tail.

"Yeah." I muttered softly, turning to look at my reflection on the full body mirror against the wall of my room and I examined myself.

If someone said that I would one day be a warrior battling against demon as the Savior of two worlds to burden lives upon lives on my shoulder, I would have probably laughed out loud but now that these things were happening, I couldn't have the guts to even smile on the thought. Oh the irony.

It is a heavy burden. To have someone's life was already hellish and frustrating. How much more the lives of billions or even zillions?

I sighed heavily, examining my reflection. I wore an armor which I wasn't exactly comfortable in but I had to deal with it either ways. Most of my skin was exposed and that was what exactly was making me feel uncomfortable.

My shoulder, lower arms, knees down to my heels, hips, chest and my head was covered in armor and a blue cloth was wrapped around my lower half. The purpose of an armor was to protect the body but mine was a bit of... Sexy? That definitely sounded weird but I wasn't that comfortable in wearing a whole body armor too since it only slows down my movements so Rex provided me with this.

I didn't want to get stabbed in the neck by some demon's hands. Heck no. I have to deal with this.

I had a sword of divinium gold along with a shield but with the fact that I was more skilled in fighting with twin blades, another sword was sheathed at my side. It seems that Alfreed noticed my uneasiness in my armor for she soon broke the silence and spoke.

"Don't be too self conscious Muriel. The armor suits you just fine. Besides, I'm the only one along the girls who's wearing a whole body armor anyway." Alfreed chuckled and I slightly pouted at the fact of her words.