Chapter Nine

Oxford, England — Tuesday, 22 June 1915

David watched for a short while as Harold walked across the quadrangle. A fine chap. Ironic, he was a student here when war was declared, rushed off to the Front within weeks. Now he's back here teaching. David shook his head, then turned and stepped into the Orderly Room. He set his basket and satchel down and presented his orders to the clerk who had looked up as he entered.

The Corporal riffled through a stack of manilla folders on the counter and selected one, opened it and read for a while. Then he took a sheet of paper from the dossier, passed it to David and asked him to read it through and sign it.

With the paperwork done, the clerk handed him a small booklet, a sealed envelope and several loose pages. "Most everything you need to know about Brasenose is in this book, Sir. These are tomorrow's orders, and this is the duty roster." He looked across the room and signalled to a young man in uniform. "He'll show you to your quarters, Sir. Your baggage will be sent along when it arrives."

David picked up his basket and satchel. "I've no baggage. These are all I have, Corporal." He dropped the booklet, envelope and papers into his basket, thanked him and turned to follow the cadet.

As they walked across the quadrangle, David asked, "How long have you been here?"

"My fifth week starts the morrow, so I'll no longer be a rook. First four weeks are the tough uns, you'll be everyone's target."

They entered a building and walked along a broad corridor, their footsteps on the oaken floor echoing as they went. At its end, the cadet pointed to a door. "This here's yers." He knocked on the door, opened it a crack and called in. "Yer new bunkie's here." Hearing no response, he continued in and David followed.

The cadet looked around the small suite, then turned to David. "One bed only..." He paused a moment, then said, "Ours are all four beds, stackers. You a lord or some it?"

"This whole thing is new to me, but I'll take what's offered." He set his basket and satchel down and glanced at his watch. "I've not eaten since the Channel ferry, and I'm sure the mess has long since closed."

"Yes, we have to be in the mess by ha' past six to eat. There's pubs out in Radcliffe Square and along in the High Street."

"What's your favourite?"

"T'other side o the square, the Crow and Gate. It's blocked from view when you come out, behind the Camera, the round building in the centre o the square."

He thanked the cadet who looked around the suite again, shaking his head and muttering, "Posh," as he left.

David made a quick survey of his quarters, examining the washbasin and the shower in one small room and the water closet behind another door. This is much more comfortable than I had imagined it would be.

He took the sealed envelope from his basket, opened it and unfolded the page to read the brief handwritten note:

David,

I am asked by R to express his great pleasure with having met you. 

Upon reviewing your file, he found the War Office had approved on the 25th of April the recommendation of your Battalion Commander, granting you a field commission with the temporary rank of Lieutenant. Since your mission can be shown to warrant this rank, he has decided to let it stand, as it will make your time at Oxford easier for all of us.

Destroy this note.

G.

He tore the small note into tiny pieces and flushed them down the toilet. So I'm a Lieutenant. Field commission must be what the Captain was talking about before he... David winced at the memory, shook his head and took a few deep breaths. Back to now, to here.