Chapter 1

Disclaimer: Unfortunately everything apart from Cathy belongs to Veronica Roth :'( I wish it was mine but there you go.

Cathy's P.O.V.

I look at him, smiling, "Really?" I ask.

He nods and smiles right back at me, "Can't you believe it?

"No!" I reply. It's too good to be true. Peter's dad has been invited over to the Amity compound for a week, and Peter is coming with him! We'll be able to spend more time together and everything. It'll be so much fun, like having a sleepover but not actually sleeping over.

"Why would I lie? I'm Candor!"

"You tell lies all the time, Peter. You don't have to tell the truth all the time until the Choosing and Initiation." I remind him. It's what the adults usually forget about the Candor-born, and Peter uses it to his advantage.

He lies back and looks up at the sky. He sighs, "I don't have to worry about the truth for two years. You have three until your Choosing Ceremony."

"I know... I don't want it to come around just yet." I say truthfully. I'm better at being Candor than him most times, even though I'm Amity.

Peter rolls over to face me, "Don't you wish that every day could be like this one, Cathy? Just us and the fields."

I do. Just here in the perfect spot. Here in the sun. With Peter. It's a rare opportunity. We can hardly get away from our factions at similar times. With school, and helping our parents, we rarely have time to spare anyway. I look at the orchard ahead of me, where my parents are picking apples. If they found us sitting here, talking to each other, I don't want to think of the reaction they'd have.

"Cathy?"

I nod slowly, then check the time: 14:47. Just under a quarter of an hour left.

"Do you? Or is it just me?"

I nod again, hoping it's convincing, "Yeah, I do."

He stands, not meeting my gaze. I hope I was convincing, because I meant it.

"Where are you going?"

"I have to go back to Candor before your parents see us."

"We have fifteen minutes!"

"Fifteen minutes for me to get away quickly then."

He begins to walk away and I just stand there, staring at his back, wishing he'd stayed so that I could tell him. I still hadn't. I realised ages ago. I need to tell him, so why is it so hard?

Slowly, I make my way back through the trees to my parents, wondering about the next time I'll see him.