Chapter 9

Disclaimer: I need to think of more ways to put this but yeah, so Veronica Roth owns almost everything, but I have Cathy and some others 'cause I'm cool like that :D

Cathy's P.O.V.

We walked down to the park together, taking our time. He held my hand the whole way there. I was very aware of it the whole time.

Our visit to the park consists mostly of sitting around and talking. I don't know why, but just spending time with him makes me relax. We'd known each other for so long that it feels natural. When it's gotten dark we get up and start to head out. The first compound we have to go past is the erudite. Their lights are still on even though it's late. I wonder what they're doing there. Probably sciencey stuff that they do all the time.

Next is Abnegation. There's one light on.

"Peter?"

"Yes Cathy?"

"What do you think's happening over there?"

"The lit house?"

"Yes."

"I don't know. Probably a conference or meeting or something. Want to eavesdrop?"

I laugh, "Okay."

He nods and we walk over. It's on the top floor. What surprises me is that it looks like a bedroom. Why would they hold a meeting there?

Peter puts a finger to his lips and beckons me to follow him. I do, and he leads me around the back of the house. He starts picking the lock.

"Peter, really?" I whisper softly. He nods in reply and the door swings open. When we are inside, he shuts the door behind us softly. Yelling is audible upstairs.

"You pathetic excuse for a child!" The voice is angry, and, by the sound of it, it's at his son.

Then, I hear a sound that makes Peter and I wince.

The sound of a belt on flesh.

My eyes grow wide, how could you possible hit your own kid? And an Abnegation man too! I have half a mind to whip the guy back, though that's probably my Amity reflexes.

"If you don't score Abnegation tomorrow, it'll be double!" Another lashing sound, "Remember to run away from the dog, whatever you think. DO YOU HEAR ME?"

A weak voice of a trembling boy whispers a few words, "Y-yes father."

So the boy is sixteen by the sounds of it. The Aptitude is tomorrow. I look at Peter. He has a worried look on his face.

More whipping sounds commence. There's so many that I loose count. I can't stand it anymore. I rush into the room.

Beneath me is a hard wooden floor. The room is neat and tidy, with a bed to one side.

Two people stare at me from across the room, one a full grown man with a belt in his hand, one a sixteen year old boy on the floor. He has whip marks all over his back. Both have quite different expressions once they got over the surprise, the man's full of anger, the boy's of pity. The man looks familiar but I don't have time to think about that.

The man is raising the belt above his head, aiming, not for the boy.

But for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mwuhahahaha! I feel so mean! Not as mean as John Green, but mean! Haha, I'm a poet and I didn't even know it!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha I'm so mean and horrible!

Pls comment if u want the next chapter to come quicker!

Regards,

The terribly mean Morgana334