Chapter 10

Final chapter people! I hop you've enjoyed the story and I hope I've explained well enough why Peter's so cold all the time. Bad people generally have a backstory to it, so here's mine.

Again, I hope you've enjoyed my first Fanfic and will continue to read my (not definite but probable) next one!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh. My. Gosh.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to put this note at the end and spoil the atmosphere of the ending, but really, I'm just...

You know, I think trees more feels just writing this than you guys reading it! Seriously, I'm crying over here!

Comment at the end to tell me what you think!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: And for the very last time in this story, I do not own Divergent, Veronica Roth does. ;)

Peter's P.O.V.

I walk through the hospital towards her room. She's on the top floor, emergency department. A doctors's note is firmly clenched in my left hand. The police won't believe me when I tell them that Marcus Eaton did it, they say I was in shock. But I know what I saw.

The one time I tell the truth, and they don't believe me.

Her room is small. There's an old, motherly nurse bringing her lunch. I can't bear to look at her face. She took it all while I did nothing, nothing to save her.

Nothing, nothing, nothing.

The words echo around my brain.

The nurse nods to her, then to me, "You want some privacy, dears?"

I just register the slight movement of her head as the nurse leaves her lunch tray by the bed and leaves.

"To be honest, I don't have much of an appetite right now..." She laughs quietly to herself and I continue to stare anywhere but her face, "Peter, is there something interesting on the floor that I need to see, or what?"

I can't suppress my smile. I know what's going to happen and she still keeps her sense of humour, "Peter! Just look at me!"

I raise my eyes and they meet hers. I fight the urge to look away. Her face is covered in red scars. My fault. Every single one of them. I could have saved her and I did nothing.

Nothing, nothing, nothing.

"C-Cathy?" I say, trembling.

"Yes?"

"I-" I look down again, "I'm sorry..."

"I forgive you Peter."

"You shouldn't."

"Why not?"

"Because...because I did nothing."

Nothing, nothing, nothing.

"You couldn't have done anything. Besides, I'm fine."

"You're not, Cathy, you're not."

"How do you know?"

I pass her the note from her doctor.

I did nothing.

Nothing, nothing, nothing.

Cathy looks up, and I know she's read the one line.

The second one from the end.

'I am truly sorry for her, but I do believe that Cathy's injuries with prevent her from surviving to see another day.'

He didn't even use the 'd' word.

How clever.

She lays back onto her pillows.

"Well, I guess that's it then."

I nod slowly.

"But Cathy?"

She turns her head, and I can tell that her cheery appearance to start off with was fake. "Peter?"

"I love you."

I just had to say it once. Just once.

"I love you too, Peter."

Wait.

Did she just say that?

I smile weakly.

Then she closes her eyes and sighs.

"Wish me luck."

She leans over and looks at the button by her bed. It's the one that controls the oxygen. I've seen nurses use it to increase and decrease it to her needs. Her hand hovers for a second then

I hear her breaths slow and stop.

I race over to the bed. No! It can't have happened yet! It's meant to be with her parents watching her, not some lousy guy like me! I can't believe it. A tear runs slowly down my cheek.

Then my feet start to move.

I race down seven slights of stairs in less than a minute. No, please no. When the doctor comes in sight I can't say a thing. The tears have come in massive waves. She can't go! What'll happen without her?

In the whole world, I only know one thing:

I hate the Abnegation.