Comprehension

Corinne became accustomed to the life she lived. A daily ritual of picking flowers, helping make breakfast, assisting with the crops, and spending time with her sisters. Days home were easy, there was no difference between one family member than the other.

When she turned 16, she had already bloomed into the woman her mother knew she would. She could overgrow her older sister, Caroline at the rate she was going. She was grateful that she had her beauty and brains, or else she'd be stuck in one rut of education or vanity. She knew who she was, or what she wanted to become. She loved the life she lived, but she'd rather spend time hidden with the flowers, dancing in the rain, running around barefoot until her mother reprimanded her for not being ladylike. She stood out from her sisters in the best way possible, and she didn't want it any other way.

Her family wasn't as wealthy as they could be, but they weren't broke as hell like everyone acted they were. They gave the church help in the best way, Corinne and Caroline sang gospel in the choir, served offers, and Virginia followed in the footsteps of her pastor. She wanted to preach the gospel, tell the world about His Almighty.

After the days were over, when there was no homework, no crops to check, no bible-study and nothing in her way, Corinne sat in her room or in the garden with a book. She kept her hair down and normally stayed with her ragged jeans and a grey cardigan. Her books were always bigger than she believed, and she usually finished the book within a few hours. She was in competition with her oldest sister, Virginia. They always wanted to see who could read and comprehend a book the fastest. Even though Virginia was brighter and in a higher grade, Corinne always triumphed over her sister.

"Coree, put that book down right now and come help me!" Virginia cried, as she struggled to pull her sister off her duvet.

"Virginia, I do not need to help you. You're the smartest, comprehend your own homework." Corinne replied. Regardless if her name was Corinne, she was always referred to as Coree, and she didn't mind. It just stuck.

"I can do my own homework, silly. I just want your help is all. You tend to comprehend better, and I need someone to interview."

"Interview? Interview mom, or Harper. She's used to talking more than she needs to."

Virginia groaned in annoyance.

"Just do the damn interview, Cor!" She whined.

"Fine, just tell me what to do."

Virginia interviewed her sister about what she experienced with certain books. She asked her to reflect on what books she read, what she enjoyed, analysis of characters, etc. Coree had no explanation for the analysis of the character, she found the female lead very detailed and amplified, but the male was flat and stodgy. His description and actions made her dread the novel where the female and male meet and develop those amorous feelings for one another.

"See? It wasn't that hard, Coree." Virginia teased as she closed her schoolbook. Coree rolled her eyes, as she traveled across the room back to her duvet and her book, ready to start a new chapter, but there was a drawback in her way.

"Virginia! Coree! It is time for supper! Get down here, please!" Scarlette, the mother yelled up the stairs. Coree groaned as she and Virginia directed themselves downstairs for supper.

Virginia talked non stop about her favorite teacher, Mr. Sandser, and Caroline talked about her new infatuation with the new boy down the street. Harper turned her food into a masterpiece as she shoved it section by section into her mouth. Coree, kept herself quiet as she ate her supper, much to her mother's urge to get her to talk about her day.

"Coree, what about you?"

"Nothing much, mom. I started a new book, almost finished with it. Not much." She smiled, finishing up her supper.

"Alright, well, I'll clean up and you girls get to bed at a decent hour." She smiled as she picked up the plates.