Chapter Seven: A Walk Gone Wrong

Elijah was thankful that when he woke, it was because of his restlessness and not terror. He turned so his back lay flat against his sheets. He stretched his legs in an attempt to loosen the tension, but it didn't work. The boy's body was sticky with sweat, his nightgown clung to his chest and his thighs. His cheeks were aflame due to the ungodly heat of the room. He thought about choosing to sleep without clothes--when he was actually tired again, that was. Or maybe I could simply open my windows. But then, Elijah turned to stare out his windows and discarded the thought altogether. He realized he could do neither of these things, not with the threat of a stalker.

If he slept without his clothes, should the man find his way into the house, it would be an embarrassing sight. If he slept with his windows open, the man had easier access to Elijah's room and Elijah knew in his heart of hearts that the thing that stalked him wasn't human.

When he heard a tapping on his window, the one closest to his head, he stilled in body but thrust his eyes in the general direction to realize it was only the large pine tree. He exhaled, a hand on his chest.

For about twenty minutes he lay in bed staring at the blank and boring ceiling before he eased from the bed and tiptoed towards his dressers. He found a silk royal purple vest and matching a tie to put over his new white long sleeved shirt. He rolled the cuffs to his elbows, it was far too hot to leave them unfolded. He couldn't do much about his black pants, but at least it wouldn't be as hot as it would during the day. Elijah took the black coat from his rack by the door and peeked outside.

Henry was in a chair next to the door, his head over his breast pocket. Elijah smiled. He left the room and made sure to shut the door behind him or, if Henry awoke, he'd see that Elijah was not in his room and call for Abraham. Elijah was gentle down the steps, his shoes in hand so to avoid noise. He was so thankful that most of the servants went home at night or that they huddled in the kitchen, he'd have never gotten away if they'd still been cleaning the house, even at such an hour as half past two.

Elijah strolled down the street and peered into the many large and ancient houses that stood on the block. This night he was thankful not to feel the obscene presence of his stalker. Since his arrival to the Snow estate, he had never had the time or the will to examine the houses. One, in particular, he found intriguing. The house was at the far end of the street, completely opposite to the estate. It was the last house on the right. Like every mansion, it was gated in black iron. The grass of this mansion was tall, and any sign of artistic shrubbery was dry, unkempt, or nonexistent. The sidewalk was cracked to hell. The windows of the house had mildewed curtains that would have been beautiful white lace had they been washed. Everything looked dusty and there was not a single lamp lit. Elijah saw nothing of the inside, but he assumed the rest of the house took on this filthy pattern. Is it abandoned? It must be.

Elijah didn't believe his assertion. He could feel that the house had an owner, but maybe that owner was old or in spirit and unable to care for the house.

Eventually, Elijah's curiosity of the house ended. He roamed the streets of the neighborhood. He made his way into the heart of the city. It was quiet. Considering the heat, Elijah knew not many people would want to keep open shop. Throughout the city, there was a warm peace that made Elijah comfortable. He slung his coat over his shoulder, and put his hand in his pocket, taking in the nightlife he hadn't seen in months. Winter was too harsh for such a walk, spring was too rainy, and, here lately, Elijah had no intentions of wandering into death, again. His last wish was to be ensnared in a death trap, but Elijah couldn't coop himself away with Abraham's and Irina's protection forever. His week with Henry's watch would end soon, he needed to face his fears on his own.

After turning a corner, Elijah stumbled upon a shop that was still open. No one but an old woman was inside. Judging by the lit candles throughout the place, Elijah took it to a candle shop. Elijah never had much interest in candles, but they were warm and comfortable. He knew Irina had a fondness for them. He peered through the window. The old woman looked up from her seat in a creaking rocking chair and waved at him with a smile. When Elijah humbly entered a bell rang above his head. The old woman continued to smile, but she didn't get up from her seat.