Chapter Eight: Presents & Plans

He walked into the dining room with droopy eyes. The stares from the servants annoyed him, and his body felt heavy. The events of last night felt like a distant memory now. Elijah thought of them, could only remember staring at the stars wondering if it was the last sight he'd see in his short life. He took his seat on the right side of the table, next to the empty head chair where Abraham would have sat. Irina sat opposite of him frozen in place, her hands in mid-turn of a book page. She was dressed in lacey champagne colors with a thin pink ribbon bow-tied at the neck, and a larger pink ribbon tied at her waist. She wore her hair in a simple bun, one that was still wet at the edges. Elijah assumed she must have bathed this morning. Her eyes were locked on his neck, and her mouth parted slightly to speak, yet no sound came out.

Elijah set the bag of candles on the table and kissed his teeth. He smiled, but it was a bitter smile. "I've brought you some things. I know you'll like them."

"Elijah-"

"I know. I don't wish to speak of it yet. I want you to open your presents," Elijah said, closing his eyes and gently waving his hand in her direction.

Irina huffed, and her eyes welled but she shook it away. She reached for the bag and noticed the large hole in the side. The candles tumbled out when she accidentally ripped it further. She slumped. The candles were sweet smelling. She took one of each and sniffed them. She immediately set them down and covered her face with her hands. Elijah watched her, watched her shoulders shake, and watched her ears brighten. He reached out for her hand. She took it but kept her other hand over her weeping eyes.

"Please, tell me what happened," she moaned. "I know you don't mean to, but you are hurting me."

"I'm sorry," Elijah whispered back.

"Talk about it," Irina commanded, her body now rigid. She stared at him with silent tears streaming down her face.

Elijah gnawed his lip raw before he spoke, tightening his grip on Irina's fingers. "I truly thought I was to be dead, last night," he said, looking up at her through his lashes. "It is my fault-"

"No, it is not."

"Oh no, but darling, it is!" Elijah exclaimed. "I should have known better than to wander out of the house. There is no excuse. I knew that leaving was a danger, especially in the middle of the night."

"Where did you go?" Irina asked.

"To town," he responded, "where I found your candles in a quaint candle shop." His smile was whimsical. "I was leaving the shop when I was attacked in an alleyway. How ridiculous was it of me to think that I could have left the house unscathed? What a fool," he sighed, shaking his head.

Irina clenched her jaw, giving another huff. "A fool, indeed. It attacked your throat again?"

"Yes. He threw me against a wall and found a refreshing quench for his thirst from my jugular! Not only is he a killer, he is selfish- he must be. Never in my life. . ." Elijah felt like Abraham with his rambling. It was as if he were talking to himself, but he could never truly forget the beauty across the table. "Forgive me, love, I am not well."

She smiled. Her soft thumb rubbed the back of his hand, and he felt comfortable for once that morning. "Does it hurt?"

"It's tender. I can't say it's true pain, not like last time. This time was different. He spoke to me-"

Irina gasped. "What did he say?"

"I'd been begging to be spared," He muttered, embarrassingly, "to not kill me, and he had whispered, 'I wouldn't dream of it'. If his intentions aren't to kill me, then what else can it be?"