Chapter Fifteen: Townhomes, Arguments, & Singing

Despite the taboo agreement on Elijah's mind, he still managed to walk the first steps towards marriage besides the woman he adored. He and Irina had left early and spent most of the day viewing large empty mansions. Irina seemed quite bored of them, and Elijah felt intimidated by how quiet and expansive these buildings seemed. It wasn't bustling like the Snow Estate, and he assumed that their home would never be that busy. Elijah, by midday, expected their search pointless. None of the houses were to his liking, but then he realized he might have been looking in the wrong place. He voiced this opinion in the middle of a random living room while the realtor spoke about the "ancient floorboards".

"What of the townhomes? Are there any for sale?"

The realtor, a pale man in his mid-thirties with black eyes too close together, paused to look at his younger client. "What was that, Mr. Marks?"

"I was asking about the townhomes."

"You had specifically requested to view homes in similarity to your wife's, sir."

Elijah's cheeks crept aflame when the realtor called Irina his wife. Not yet, he thought, but soon. "Ah, yes, I know, but I think we'd be open to expanding our options. Am I right?"

Both men turned to Irina, who was latched at Elijah's arm. Her little green hat was tilted on her bun. She straightened the hat before looking up at her soon-to-be husband while smiling. She liked the idea of getting a feel for something more in the mix of the city life and nodded to the realtor.

"Then, there are a few homes in your own neighborhood of Kensington for sale, Mr. and Mrs. Marks."

Irina, who hadn't heard the comment about being called Elijah's wife, blushed and almost opened her mouth to correct the man, but she didn't because she liked the way it sounded. The realtor convinced the couple to view the rest of the home, which was as large and boring as the others. There was no uniqueness, no outward style to draw them in.

Following that particular house, the realtor took them to an intricately narrow street lined with massive townhomes. They were larger than Elijah's old home, which was three stories and contained a cellar. These homes were stunning, white, and clean. The slight upward incline added to the magnificence. They viewed two townhomes that reminded Elijah too much of his old home. He wanted something nicer, more with the feel of warmth and welcome. It was found in the third townhouse.

The massive establishment was five stories, each floor connected by a never-ending spiral staircase of marble. The basement contained a cellar and the ground floor even held a pleasant set of rooms and leisure spots for future workers. The kitchens were lovely, themed Italian much to the couple's delight. There were many different bedrooms, parlors, two dining rooms, and an adorable ballroom. Something about the house was welcoming, prestigious, and elegant. Elijah was more than pleased to find the roof was a patio. It was accessible from the fifth story landing beyond a quaint balcony that faced the backyard.

Elijah never saw Irina so wide-eyed. Peering over the railing, the young man smiled. He had planned many events in this home: balls, baby-showers, company meeting when he was to take over the business, and even the idea of bringing Abraham to the home when he was too old to be alone. There was plenty of room for him and he could have an entire floor to himself if he wanted.

Being so high, he thought of Haydn, reluctantly. When in flight, how high can the little devil go? Elijah imagined Haydn roaming the roof, speaking to the plants, and spying on him. How long will this go on? he wondered. There must be an end, eventually. What would happen if my children found the strange man on the roof? What would I tell anyone who found him, for that matter? He sighed. This deal he made had been boggling him since he woke the morning after it happened.