Perfect Games

“I’ve got popcorn, a variety of candy for us, veggie sticks for the crazy, vegetarian Avery, and plenty of punch.” I said to my roommates; girl’s night in had officially begun. 

“I still don’t understand how you don’t eat any junk food or meat. I for one think you’re crazy.” Kinsie said, chomping on a piece of popcorn. 

Avery reached for a handful of carrot sticks, “Judge me all you want, a healthy body equals a healthy mind. I’m in Zen.”

I scoffed. “Oh, yeah right. You wont be in ‘Zen’,” I put air quotations around the word Zen, “until you decide between Devon and Tyler.” Korrine and Kinsie looked at me like I was crazy. “What?! Don’t act like you two weren’t thinking it too. I don’t have a filter, it all just spills out.”

“Try to control it sometime.” Korrine said, laughing.

“No, it’s ok. Really. Alyx is right. I need to talk to Devon and I’ve been putting it off all day but it’s something that definitely needs to happen. Soon.” Avery sat down with her legs Indian style. 

Kinsie reached for a glass of fruit punch, since no soda was available on campus. “Guys, let’s not talk about it tonight. You need your mind off the boys. We all do.”

My eyes widened with excitement. “I have the best idea!” 

“Spill.” Korrine grinned.

“We have been here for a few days, but we don’t know barely anything about each other. Besides what we’ve learned from being here.”

“Yeah, so?” Kinsie mumbled. 

“Well how about we go around in a circle and we each come up with a question, and the person next to you answers it. Then they ask the next person a question, and it goes on.”

“Sounds interesting,” Avery nodded.

“I’ll go first.” I smirked. “Ok, starting with Kinsie, what is the most spontaneous thing you have ever done?” 

“Um, let me think.” She said as she bit her lip in concentration. 

“Ok, well there is this big mall like two miles from my house. And one night, my best friend from home, Halle, and I snuck out and poured dish soap in the fountain and it was overflowing with bubbles the next morning!” we all erupted into laughter. The image of tiny Kinsie, lugging bottles of soap two miles down the road was too comical. 

“Ask me question!” Ordered Avery as she chewed down on a handful of grapes. 

“Alright, tell us about your first kiss.” 

Avery started blushing immediately. “Uh oh! There’s definitely a story there!” Korrine giggled.

“Well, it began when my dad started a boys team at our club, and there was this really cute guy on the team named Luke. And my dad would make me stay after practice to work the concession stand when the boys were practicing, which wasn’t a huge disappointment since Luke always practiced shirtless and they boy had abs you could grate cheese on. But one day he came up to me in the concession stand and asked for a bottle of water and when I gave it to him, he told me he wanted to take me out. Keep in mind I’m fourteen and had never had a boyfriend, let alone went on a date with a guy! The next night, he came to my house, picked me up, he was 16, and we went to see a movie. But in the middle of the movie he slides his arm around me like guys do. And then he just asks, “Is it alright if I kiss you?” and he did and it was perfect. End of story.”

“I wish my first kiss was that cute,” Kinsie grumbled.

“How was it?” Korrine pried. 

“Sloppy and wet. Disgusting.” She shivered in disgust.

“Ok, enough about your sloppy rendezvous, Avery, ask Korrine her question.”

“Hmm, let me think. Ok, I got it! Korrine, why did you come here this summer?” 

“What do you mean? I came just like all the rest of you!” She said sheepishly.

“No, we all have a different reason. Like me, I came to prove to everyone on my team that I don’t get the starting position because my dad’s the coach. So what’s your story?”

“Guys, it’s not something I’ve told anyone besides my dad and my best friend . . .”

“Korrine, this is the reason we’re here tonight, to tell each other everything about us.” I pulled my arm around her, comforting her. Yes, I, Alyx Madison, was being nice to Korrine.

“Ok, well it all started my freshman year. The first weekend of school was my best-friend Morgan’s older brothers birthday, and he was having a huge party. Morgan invited me to hang out with her while the party was going on.”

“Why couldn’t you hang out with her brothers friends?” Avery asked.

“Well they were seniors and we were freshman, and Blake didn’t want Morgan anywhere near his friends. They all thought she was hot and he didn’t want her flirting with them.” She breathed deeply before continuing. “Eventually, we got hungry, so I went to the kitchen to swipe us some food. And I ran into one of Blake’s friends, and he was really cute. So cute I thought I was going to melt when he smiled at me, and winked. No guy had ever looked at me like that.”

“Oh my gosh, go on!” I squealed.

“So when I was in the kitchen, his friend came in there and started talking to me, and after about ten minutes, he offered me a drink. And me being the naïve girl that I am, I accepted.”

“Korrine, did you get roofied?!” Kinsie shrieked.

“No, you freak! Shut up!” She laughed. “Anyways, we started drinking together and then he just leans in and kisses me. It took me by such a surprise that I didn’t even kiss him back at first. Then he kissed me again, and I kissed him again and eventually one thing led to another and we’re full on making out in the kitchen. All of his friends were in the room right beside us, they could have walked in at any time!”

“You bad girl!” Kinsie growled like a tiger.

Korrine blushed as red as a tomato. “Kinsie! Shhh. So then he just asks if I want to go to one of the guest rooms, their house had about twenty. So we just went into this random guest room, probably hadn’t been used in years, and we talked for a long time.”

“About what? We need all the details!” I ordered. Korrine had surprised me with this story; I never would have believed she was telling the truth except for I knew she couldn’t tell a lie to save her life. 

“Everything,” she said softly. “He made me feel special. And he was the first guy I kissed, or even liked to be honest. We agreed we would keep our relationship a secret because we ran with different crowds and it was too complicated to tell everyone.”

“So what happened between you two? Did he go off to college? What happened?” Kinsie squealed. 

“Well, he was supposed to meet me at this spot in the park, hidden by all these woods and when I got there, he was with all his friends. Which surprised me, because they didn’t know we were together. And he told me to get lost, because he didn’t care about me and I was a waste of his time.”

“Oh my gosh, Korrine, I’m so sorry.” Avery pulled her close.

“It’s ok. Really.”

“Is this why you’re so distant sometimes with Hayden? You don’t want to get hurt again?” Kinsie asked.

“Kind of. It wouldn’t be that bad except – well –“

“Well what?” I pried.

“Well it wasn’t hard to get over Daniel, but now I’m seeing his face everywhere I turn.”

“Everywhere you turn? What do you mean, Korrine?” Avery asked. 

“Daniel is here. At camp.”

“How is he here? He’s too old to be a camper.” Kinsie said, confused. 

“He’s not here because he’s a camper . . . He’s a coach, you guys. Daniel is Coach Jeffries.”