Chapter 15: I Hope It's Either A Long Shit Or He Met Oprah.

This song is for Lauren; you'll see why at the end of this chapter. 😂
Song: Bless me
Artist(s): The Gospel Legends

"I'm serious!" Caroline gushingly whispers.

How could she do that to me? Why would she lie about something so.... small?

"What?" is all I blurt, mostly to myself.

I hear her sigh on the other end. "Jessica is at my house, Lauren."

"I know what you said. Just... what? She told me that she needed help with some tough Chemistry homework," I explain, resting my head in my right hand.

"Well, she definitely got 'alkyne's of help from Aiden," she mentions, drawling the word-pun but sounding full on serious.

"Seriously?" I mutter.

She clears her throat. "Yeah, whoops. Not the right time."

"Anyway, backtrack. So, Aiden? Aiden James?" I question.

"It's your second day of school; how many Aiden's do you know? Of course it's hottie James."

"True. But, how is he at your hou— oh, one of your brother's friends." Wow, Aiden is already all over the map with friends. Caroline's brother brought over two friends, and Aiden was one of them. Two friends. Is her brother..? Ah, never mind. They look nothing alike. Her skin tone is more creamier.

"Yeah, but she came to my house for Aiden, Lauren."

"Well, I don't mind that she's with Aiden. I'm pissed that she's with Aiden and not with me!" I let out.

"Right..."

I plop backward on my bed with a huff. "God, what the hell."

She clicks her tongue. "It's completely fucked up of her to do that—"

"I mean, I wouldn't have minded if she'd told me, but..."I cut in, expressing my disappointment.

"Wait, oh my gosh!" Caroline blurts, still rather quietly.

"What, what, what?"

"Okay, Elias and I were walking to the main entrance of the school during your last period. We saw you with Aiden. And despite how close to a couple you two looked, sharing the same pair of earbuds—"

"We totally did not. It was a friendly, please-stay-silent-while-I-work gesture," I defend.

"Mhm." Her tone tells me she doesn't buy my accurate reasoning. "And I caught Elias checking out Aiden, and he denies it, but I totally sensed a mental erection and—"

"Caroline. We're kinda digressing from the original 'oh my gosh' thing you wanted to tell me."

"Oh, right." She clears her throat. "So, we weren't the only ones who saw you two looking so close. Jessica came soon after and I could sense the fire escaping her nostrils and every other hole in her body. She really looked like she'd just come back from confronting her lover of cheating with her pet rat, or whatever."

"Pet rat? Who would own a pet rat?" I realize I'm tracking off as well, but pretty weird statement.

"Well, a snake would, for obvious reasons— except she wouldn't eat it, she'd keep it around forever, for fun, to stay intimidating. Anyway, anyway; then she called you about homework, which I'm now pretty sure was an excuse to stop any further action. At the time, I really thought she needed your help."

"Uh, huh."

"And then we saw Aiden come out and she talked to him about homework, but I just thought she was asking help for two different classes, you know?"