***Chapter Eight

*** u n e d i t e d ***

CHAPTER EIGHT

The Erumpet

✿✿✿

The moment they apparated into the park, Newt took off running, and Lia did her best to keep Jacob on his feet. Central Park was covered in a sparkling frost, and the trio plunged through the grounds. As they darted over an arching stone bridge, a rather frightened ostrich whet tearing past as a flying speed. Following it was a loud rumbling sound, echoing out from the distance.

The three came to a skidding stop, and Newt thrust pieces of leathery protective gear at Lia and the No-Maj. "Help him get that on," the wizard instructed lightly before going to rummage through his own pockets.

The teen frowned, holding up the armor while Jacob tried vainly to tug on the helmet backwards. "What kind of apparatus is this?" she murmured, trying to get it around the man with feeble attempts.

Newt shooed her away and went to tightening the padded vest object around the man, who with each tug appeared as if he were about to burst.

"Why - why would I have to wear something like this?" he muttered, confused.

Newt answered quite simply, "Because your skull is susceptible to breakage under immense force." Then he ran onward through the white-ridden park.

Terrified, Jacob looked over to Lia and asked quickly, "Your skull is too, right?"

The teen shook her head, trying to keep the grin from creeping onto her face. "There's a different between our physical chemistry and yours, Mr. Kowalski," she reminded, patting the leather helmet in his arms and turning tail.

The fear in his face seemed to grow, and the poor No-Maj pulled the hat, furiously running after the fleeting wizards.

✿✿✿

They stood awkwardly at the entrance to the New York Zoo, digesting the sight of the destroyed awning. Debris and great chunks of bricks were strewn everywhere in heaps, and stray animals meandered about aimlessly. However, the normal creatures shivered as a bellowing snort came from within.

Newt proceeded, picking his way across meticulously and gesturing for his two companions to follow. "She's in season," he explained, rounding a corner towards one of the larger clearings. "She needs to mate."

There was the beast, an enormously massive, round thing that resembled some sort of rhinoceros. A huge horn was implanted in its smaller head, seemingly outweighing it, and the veins within pulsed with a golden fire-like light. It - or she, as Newt called her - was nuzzling up against a poor terrified hippo she had cornered in its own exhibit.