Chapter 42

They continued walking at the same pace, just staring straight ahead in silence when they felt their hands brush against each other's. They glanced at each other knowingly before averting their gaze while the further corner of their lips turned slightly upwards.

Pretending to be angry, Narain snapped. "Hey, maintain some distance."

"You maintain some distance." She narrowed her eyes at him before breaking into a giggle seeing him chuckle while they did not try to stop their hands from brushing as they walked.

"You're the one who said it so you maintain the distance. Go away."

"Oh, so if I didn't say it, you wouldn't maintain any distance with me, is it? Then let me close the distance and see." Anuradha intentionally moved closer till their shoulders rubbed.

"Hey, move." He said, nudging her arm and taking one step away from her to the side in order to maintain some distance. "Okay, maybe I didn't say it then, but I'm saying now. Better maintain some distance."

"You maintain the distance then."

The back of their hands came into contact and brushed against each other's again.

"Go away."

"I won't. You go away."

"Go away, girl."

"You go away, man."

"Go away, girl."

"Go away, man."

"Go, girl." He nudged her arm with his elbow.

"Go, man." She swatted his elbow with the back of her hand.

"Go, girl." He hit her arm lightly with his elbow.

"Go, man." She hit his upper arm with her hand before she held her hand in pain. "Ouch, that hurt! You have muscles, man."

"That's why you should not mess with me."

Anuradha pursed her lips and turned her face away, sulking. "You're so bad. I hate you."

"Thanks. I hate you even more."

"I hate you even more than you can ever hate me."

"I hate you too."

"I. Hate. You!"

As they continued exchanging lines refusing to give up on the argument, they glanced at each other at the same moment and started to say, "I-"

They fell silent as a heart-shaped balloon passed between their faces at the precise moment. Heart-shaped balloon. I... love...?

They were pushed apart as a kid ran between them to catch the balloon that had escaped from his clutch. They stared at each other for a long moment before a frown cropped up on their faces and they continued walking side-by-side in the same direction in silence.

When their hands brushed again, Narain's frown creased deeper and he was about to step away to the side from Anuradha in exasperation when she spoke. "Okay, I'll go away then."

She turned on her heel and started walking in the opposite direction as they had been walking earlier.

Narain stopped in his tracks and turned, raising his eyebrows and watching her in surprise. That was not like her to give up on any argument so soon. He took a few strides to catch up with her and noticed a smirk on her face.

"Hey, what happened to you? You never give up on any argument this easily." Narain glanced at her, while walking in step with her.

"Who said I gave up? I didn't give up. I knew you would turn and come, walk back with me, that's why I said that."