Chapter 50

Early the next morning, Narain was standing in the balcony of his apartment when Anuradha walked up to his right. "Good morning."

"Morning." Narain turned and glanced at her as she stared straight ahead sipping on her cup of tea.

The fragrant aroma of the tea wafted through the air, giving him a sense of comfort. Like her, he always found drinking a cup of tea early in the morning refreshing.

He lowered his gaze and turned to head back inside towards the kitchen to make himself a cup of tea when he stopped in his tracks. He glanced over to his left, where a cup of tea was held out towards him.

Speechless, he glanced up at Anuradha, who was still staring straight ahead, sipping on her tea, unperturbed.

He slipped his finger through the small handle of the teacup and took the cup from her. He turned back to face the outside again with a slight smile. His face broke into a wide smile as he turned and looked away in the opposite direction. He was utterly touched by her kind gesture.

***

Later that morning, after having a light breakfast, Anuradha and Narain headed over to their friends' apartment together since it was a Sunday.

Nila opened the door for them before they even rang the doorbell.

"Hey, baby!" Anuradha exclaimed as soon as Nila ran into her arms.

Narain smiled and waited for a moment before Nila jumped over into his arms. "Hey, Nila baby."

"Nila was waiting for Mama and Papa to come so long. Why Papa and Mama come so late?" Nila questioned them as Narain entered the apartment with her in his arms and Anuradha following behind.

Without waiting for them to answer her question, Nila continued, "I was looking from the window and saw Papa's car come that's why I opened door quickly before Papa ring bell. But I didn't see Mama's car. I thought Mama not yet come."

"Where did you park your car, Mama?" Nila slid down to the floor from Narain's arms and turned to Anuradha.

"At Papa's apartment."

"Papa's home? Why, Mama, why?"

"Because Mama is staying there for some days."

"Wow!" Nila beamed at first and then frowned and narrowed her eyes. "What happened to Mama's home?"

"Mama is not staying there anymore."

"Oh." Her face fell. "Then Mama's home will be sad without Mama, right Mama? Why Mama don't stay there?"

"Aww, there's someone else staying there now. That's why Mama is not staying there anymore. Don't worry, it won't be sad."

"Okay, Mama! So Mama stay with Papa in Papa's home? Mama and Papa come together in Papa's car?"

"Yes, and yes."

"Wow, wow, wow! Mommy! Daddy! Mama is staying with Papa in Papa's apartment!" sang Nila, running over towards the bedroom.

"What?" asked Shiva in disbelief, walking out of the bedroom while he combed his hair with his fingers. He glanced up in surprise upon noticing Narain and Anuradha. "When did you guys come?"

"Just now only," replied Anuradha.

"Oh, was the door open? We didn't hear the bell."

"Nila opened it for us before we had to ring the doorbell." Narain explained.

"Oh, okay. She's been waiting for you two to come since morning. She woke up early crying and asking us why only Mommy and Daddy or Mama and Papa with me, why can't we all stay in same home? And she was very sad till we told her, you guys will come and we'll go out for lunch together."