Chapter 22

As soon as Shiva strode out of the kitchen, Anuradha walked in to talk to Shalini.

"Are you staying for dinner tonight?" asked Shalini, without even turning to look at her friend while she boiled tea on the stove.

"No," answered Anuradha.

"You came here, no? Just stay for a while, have dinner and go."

"Shalu, I'm not in the mood for that. How can you act so normal like nothing is happening?"

"Why? What happened?" Shalini turned to face Anuradha, wondering what she was talking about.

"What is happening in this house? What's wrong with you and Shiva?"

"Oh, you mean that talk between me and Shiva? That is usual for us."

"Since when?"

"For a long time already."

"Why didn't you tell me that till now?"

"What is there to tell about it?"

"I thought you always talk to me when you have any problems."

"Yeah, I do. But this is usual for us, not a problem."

"Usual? But Shalu, what happened suddenly? You both used to be so happy before."

"What happened? We are still happy. This is just the way we are."

"I mean, you told me when you were coming newly to Delhi after marriage, both of you decided to concentrate on getting a job first and not to go for honeymoon yet."

"Yeah, that was when we first came."

"So what? If he's not ready to take you for honeymoon yet, can't you adjust? What happened to you, smiley? I never thought you would fight with him for such a small issue."

"Fight? What are you talking about? I was just simply saying about the honeymoon."

"Simply saying? That means you're simply having fights with him about it?"

Shalini frowned in confusion, not comprehending what was going on in her friend's mind.

"Poor Shiva, I can't believe you are being so difficult to him."

Shalini stared at Anuradha open-mouthed for a moment. "You are my friend but you're nicely believing his words about my torture. Why don't you go and ask him about my torture first? Let him tell you the truth."

"I don't know what you're doing to torture him but he's not happy. Fine, I will talk to him for you." Anuradha frowned before leaving the kitchen.

***

"What is wrong with you?"

"Wrong with me?"

"Yeah, you're simply picking fights with poor Shalini."

"Poor Shalini? Hello man, I was your friend before you got to know her. And you're siding her instead of me now."

"Yeah, agreed. But she is my sister. And she's the best person you could have got as your wife. You have to keep her happy, that's all I care."

"You are more concerned about your new sister than your old friend." Shiva pretended to look miserable.

Nila giggled, sharing a wink with her father.

"Yes, because she does so much to keep you happy and I have no doubt about that. But I'm not happy the way you're treating my sister."

"Treating your sister? What wrong did I do now?"