Chapter 8

Auralei POV

I sit in Lycan's room, on Lycan's bed. My mate across from me, his beautiful face looking at the Chess board with concentration. I have never played Chess before. I've never had any need for it, until now that is. Lycan likes Chess. I don't care if I'm terrible and don't understand the rules. I remember as a child father would try to teach me how to play but I was hopeless unlike Sam who was a genius at it.

I ignore my gut sadness and try not to stare at Lycan. It's not working, I take my eyes from the Chess board and look at him. Only to find he's looking at me.

"Are you okay?" his voice is laced with concern and his eyes hold worry.

"I'm fine," I whisper, I know he knows I'm lying. I should never have agreed to play but his eyes were so hopeful I couldn't stop it.

He leaves it alone and makes his move. Taking the horse shaped piece and taking one of my pieces smaller pieces, he called it a pawn. I don't care, but I do have a question for him.

"Lycan," I say, he has his concentration on me. His clear blue eyes uncertain, surely wondering what I will say next.

Ask him if he wants to run my wolf is agitated I need a run. I'm getting antsy being in this house.

"I want to go for a run," I mutter, "I was wondering if you wanted to come with." Because truly I want to run with him. I want to be in my wolf form running with him next to me. Again.

I see his mouth quirk into a small smile, "I was winning."

"I don't care," I say sarcastically, "I can't play Chess. Although Sam could've kicked your ass."

Lycan POV

At the mention of her brother's name she tenses, as if she can't believe she just said that. She shakes her head and looks up at me. Unshed tears that are threatening to spill hang on her eyes.

I hate to see her like this, although I love to hear her talk about her family with fondness. Instead of bitterness that is directed towards the Hunters. I will kill them if it is the last thing I do, just to see the relief on her face.

"Come on," I open the window, "let's go for a well deserved run."

She obviously needs a run a lot more than most of us, I mean she has been living in her wolf form.

Going for a run with my mate my wolf sings happily. Honestly I've never heard him happy.

With both jump out the window on to a tree and the climb down to the ground.

Lucas I'm going for a run with Auralei. Watch the pack I send a message through my mind link to my Beta and brother.

Sure thing. Have fun. He sends back, I can tell he's happy for me.

Auralei takes her clothes off in front of me, obviously not caring and just wanting to run. I can't help but stare at her bare back. I avert my eyes trying not to cringe at the scars that have invaded her back. How did she get those scars? Granted I have scars just like them on my back, only mine have healed properly and you can only see them if you look carefully enough. You'd see thin lines were my father had his Beta beat me when I misbehaved. I have never beaten one of my pack members. I have never taken out my anger on them. I consider myself a good alpha. I do not abuse my pack like my father did. I picked this pack up from the cold-hearted bastard pack it used to be. I was thankful when my father died. Yes, it made me a terrible son but I love my pack more than anything. Except maybe my new little mate.