-13-

I woke up to the kids fighting. It is way too early for this. Everyday it is something different.

These kids sure do possess the element of surprise.

I got up and they were in the hallway fighting over the bathroom. I grabbed Brit off of him. "Blake, go ahead and use this bathroom."

I helped him up with my other hand and let him go to the bathroom.

"You can use my bathroom." I told Brit.

"Sorry, for being loud mommy."

"It's okay, I don't know why y'all are up anyway."

She shrugged and went in the bathroom. I laid back down on my bed and looked at the time. 5:44. No really, why the hell are they even up?

I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't.

I felt Brit get in my bed behind me. "Mommy," she groaned.

"What?"

"Can I stay home?"

"Girl, no."

I heard Blake walk in and he got in bed in front of me. "Mommy,"

"Son,"

"Can I stay home?"

"Nigga, no."

I ended up falling asleep until 6:15 when my alarm went off. "Watch out," I said tapping Blake.

He sat up and slid out of my bed onto the floor. "Get up off of the floor and go put some clothes on."

I got Brit up too and then went to find myself something to wear.

•••

"You look pretty." Charlie said. She was a little girl who had been through so much it was ridiculous.

"Thank you, Charlie." I smiled.

What I tried to do with her is to give her happy things to look forward to. When she's been good in school, I buy her lunch or get her a present.

It's not hard to do good things for someone, even when it's not your job.

"How was school today?" I asked. She only had a half day today for whatever reason. I think grades close or something.

"It went fast." She said as she colored.

"What are you coloring?"

"My mommy and daddy."

I nodded. "What are they doing?"

"Saving me."

"From what?"