-18-

"Where your shorty at?" My cousin ManMan asked me.

"Mind your business, fool." I waved him off and busted out laughing.

"Her fine ass probably left his ole crusty dusty ass." Monte said making them laugh harder.

"Why am I always the topic of conversation?" This only made them laugh even harder. "I hate y'all."

I came over here to see my mother, but they always bugging me. They are sitting on the steps in front of her complex smoking fugs.

"We made Jay mad." ManMan laughed as I walked past.

I ignored them and went to my moms apartment before knocking. The door was unlocked so I just went in.

"Dammit, ManMan! I said either you're in or you're out!" She yelled.

I chuckled quietly and followed her voice to the kitchen. "Sorry, mom. Damn."

She turned around so fast. "Awww, Shawn! My baby!"

I smiled and she hugged me tightly. "What you doing around here?"

"I can't come see my mother?"

"You never do! Is something wrong?" She asked seriously.

"No!" I laughed. "I'm just visiting. I missed you."

"I missed you too, baby. Your cousin been in here driving me crazy, as you can see."

"He drives me crazy too."

ManMan is 17 years old and his mom recently passed away, so he's been staying here. And my mom takes care of him.

"Is he giving you a hard time? I can beat his ass for you."

"Stop all that cursing, boy." She turned back to the oven, peeking inside. "Are you eating?"

"What's in there?"

"Food. Are you eating or no?"

"Yeah, I'll eat. Damn."

She swung at me, but I dodged it. "Curse again and I won't miss." She warned.

"Dam is not even a curse word. I didn't pronounce the 'n' duh."

She busted out laughing. "I just remembered why I don't like you."

I put my hand on my chest. "That hurts, mommy."

She rolled her eyes. "Go get that fool and come eat." I went down and got ManMan and we both walked back up.

There were plates already on the bar with lasagna on them.

I sat in the middle of them as we ate in silence.

"Auntie, Jay is depressed because his girlfriend dumped him." ManMan said quickly.

I frowned and my mother gasped. "Shawn!" You didn't tell me you had a girlfriend."

"Because I don't." I shrugged.