Kay’Lonii jumped up hitting her head on the top of the plastic slide were he slept that night. Painfully she laid back down and rubbed her head. Great just what I needed another bruise. She climbed to the top of the slide and onto the fort that connected to the slide. The sky was dark and the stars were still out. She had no concept of time. And no place to go. She looked around her new but temporary make shift home. An abandon playground in the middle of Center Park. The Playground was a health hazard to the public, the swings were one swing away from breaking, the slides rocked side to side as a child slide down them and the jungle gym was one pound from breaking apart. For years this sad place has been abandon no one dared to come here saying that it’s hunted by some dead girl who died there. This place was perfect. She could be all alone away from everyone. A tear slipped down her face as she remembered her dream the only dream she has had for two years now. That fateful night Kay’lonii had snuck out of the house to go to a college party that one of her friends had invited her to. That night she partied and laughed as her parents burned to death. When she left the party she has no home to go to. Kay’lonii was 16 then. Kay’lonii wiped the tears from her face. There was no reason to ponder on the past. She had to live for now; live to survive. Without another thought Kay’lonii climbed off the playground. The sun has finally come up as she walked away from the park.  Time to survive. The walk from the abandon park to the main street was a long one. She hated this because it gave her time to think and being alone with her thoughts was the worst place to be. Her mind took control blurring reality and fantasy. In her mind she was in what was to her the perfect world. Her family had never died in the fire. She still had a warm home to go to at night and she never knew what it was like to be truly hungry. In her mind her only struggle was trying to figure out which college would she go to. And if that boy liked her back. In her mind she was happy and complete. The sound of honking car horns pulled her from her fantasy and back into reality. The cars in front of her were completely backed up from a car accident at the intersection. The firemen and police officers tried desperately to get the situation in control but in the early morning traffic they had no luck. Kay’lonii walked through the cars onto the other side. She pushed passed the noisy crowd that had gathered and down the alley way. She knew exactly where she was going but at the same time she did not. She was homeless, and had no place to really go. Kay’lonii walked through the dirty alley way in a rush she did not want to be caught up with all the bad people that lurked around in the shadows, away from the sun. A big black rat that could be easily mistaken for a small dog ran across her foot and climbed into the trash can beside her. Two years ago she would have screamed her head off but now and days she would be lucky if she did not wake up to a family of rats sleeping next to her. She walked faster towards the end of the alley and hopped the fence. Kay’lonii walked on the main street and passed an elementary school. Kay’lonii felt a familiar tug at her heart. The longlines and loneliness coming back. Kay’lonii looked away ignoring the smiles, laughter and happiness of the children, parents and teachers in the school. Kay’lonii ignored the pain in her heart and embraced the dark loneliness of her now existence. Kay’lonii walks around time square aimlessly trying to find something to do with her time. The Ney Yorkers scrunched up their noses towards the homeless girl as she walked passed them. But Kay’lonii paid them no mind as she proposedly bumped into the casually stealing money out of their pockets and purses and mindlessly putting them in others possessions. The tourist just paid her no mind; to in awe at the city that used to make her spin in circles at all the colors and lights and stores. Characters of random T.V shows chased after them trying to make a buck on pictures and meet and greets with their children. The tourist drunk up all of the chaos in the square making them easy targets for Kay’lonii and she took full advantage of them. Walking down a random street Kay’lonii spotted a dirty old man with a sign that said “Former U.S Veteran.” The man had a jar and was waving it at people silently asking for money. The People walked passed and over him like a piece of trash stuck on the side of the street. The man looked sick and immensely malnourished, his beard and hair appeared to be a dark brown but with closer inspection Kay’lonii realized that his hair was originally jet black but had dried mud and dirty from not washing it. His clothes had moth sized holes on him and was utterly dirty. The money that Kay’lonii stole burned a hole in her pocket and the hole in her heart made itself known. Kay’lonii tried to walk pass him but his voice pulled her back.
“Ma’am can you please help me.” His voice sounded like a scared child who had lost his parents. I broke her heart. Kay’lonii turned around just in time to see that the lady he was talking to turn around in disgust and anger and walked off. The old man looked down completely heart-broken. He stared at is empty cup and began to shed tears. The man completely broke down on the side of the street and everyone kept walking like they didn’t even see him. The people brushed it off as a mental illness. With tear filled eyes Kay’lonii counted the money in her pocket. She counted one hundred and fifty dollars, the most she ever made in one day. The man’s weeping turned into loud sobs as walked closer to the man. Kay’lonii sat down next to the weeping man and slowly put the money in his jar.  The man slowly stopped crying and stared at the money in awe. He looked at me his head slightly shaking and his hands locked on the jar of money.
“Thank you miss.” The man stuttered still trying to shake the sorrow from within. She looked at his face the happiness and hope scared away all the pain from his face. Kay’lonii smiled at the man.
“Your welcome.” She stayed with the man until it was time for everyone to hide for the night. He told her of the good old days when he had a wife and child. They left him when he came home from the war and found out he had PTSD and almost hurt his son. The man’s name was Thomas O’Neill. She was fascinated by the man next to her. They talked for hours until it was time to go find shelter for the night. Kay’lonii got up from her spot next to the man and walked away as she left the man she made sure to get more money to eat for the night.