The sun was finally began to descend from the sky, painting it in various pinks, oranges, reds, and purples. It was breath taking. Kay’lonii stopped and started at the colors. Little times like this makes Kay’lonii feel at peace. A ghost of a smile appeared on her face. Images of her and her parents danced across her eyes. Them at the beach her father carrying her mother into the blue waves. They at the park having a picnic or they sitting by the fire on a cold night. Completely engrossed in her own head see didn’t see the people walking into her path.
“Watch it” the New Yorker said as he bumped into her knocking her out of her memories. The smile was gone as she remember that they were gone and she was alone. She began to walk in a random direction the New York City building lights began to shine through the now darken sky. The stars hiding fearing they wouldn’t measure up to the man-made beauty.  Her stomach growled for food. She searched in her worn out pockets for the money she had just picked out of peoples purses and jackets. Thirty five dollars thank you new Yorkers. Kay’lonii went to her parent’s favorite restaurant when they were alive. Fette Sau a barbeque place on Metropolitan Ave in Brooklyn. The place looked like a homey bar. Brick walls with different types of meat drawn on them. The air felt welcoming and friendly and smelt of beautifully cooked meat. Kay’lonii smiled. The food was mouth- watering and her stomach couldn’t get enough of it. If it were up to her stomach she would have an unlimited amount if food until she was so full she could hibernate until next winter. But in reality she only had thirty five dollars and the meal costs thirty four dollars and fifty cents. When she finished her meal of the week, her stomach still growled for more.  She sighed, climbed off the chair and walked away. She looked up at the now darkened sky. She sighed. She had stayed out to late. And all the cats were out tonight. And I’m the mouse.  The sun was done and the night walkers celebrated. The building streets and music danced across the sky. The night walkers crawled out from their rocks and caves and holes just itching to feast of the moons evanescence glow. They put on their exotic clothes and jewelry to attract the mates of the night. The night walkers screamed and howled at the moon in joy. At night the night walkers can take off the masks they put on to hide from the sun and be as wild and adventurous as they like. At night when the moon is high the night walkers play their dangerous game of cat and mouse. No one knows who is who until the day breaks and all the mice end up dead. The night walkers’ drink and party and dance all night long until the day breaks and the masks have to come back on. She walked faster trying to stay in the shadows. Kay’lonii knew what happened when a mouse is caught in the ghostly night of the moon. The bruises on her arms, legs, back and thighs, as if they knew they were being called on, began to hurt a little bit more. She walked faster but then suddenly stopped as something in the corner of her eye caught her attention. In the back of the dark alley was an open door where light shown through.  She had a bad feeling about that opened door. Slowly she walked towards it not really sure if her intension was good or not. But she still went towards it like a moth attracted towards a moth trap. She knew just like the moth that she should not go towards the light but she just had to but when she saw what was beyond the door she wished she just kept on walking. The first thing that she noticed was the blood. There were so much blood on the floors and the walls it looked as if someone painted the whole room in blood. She knew this could not have come from just one person. Like a moth to a flame she walked in the door. She looked around in awe. She was so scared, but she couldn’t leave. She froze. There were ten bodies on the floor. I couldn’t believe her eyes. Her mouth hung open and a tear slipped down her left eye. The bodies were lined up in a pattern: head to feet; side by side. They were packed in the small living room like salves on a ship. And there was so much blood. She couldn’t move or think or even breathe. She felt as if the blood in her body turned to slush. She felt the color drain for her face and felt like throwing up.
“HEY WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU!” Four men popped out of the shadows of the back rooms. The one that yelled at her was a tall buff man with many tattoos. The second was a regular looking man with ebony colored hair. He wasn’t as buff as the first man but you could tell he worked out. The third man was scrawny with brown hair and one tattoo of tear drops on his eye. Thee last man had glasses; he was as muscular as the second man but had as many or maybe more tattoos of the first. They all were drenched in blood. We all stood there for a second not moving and not talking until the heat of the situation dawned on us. I had just walked onto their very active crime scene. I was a mouse and they were my cats of the night.
“GET HER!”