1 introduction to Robyn

Robyn Fenty 
Saturday April 5 2014

I sat on the side of my bed feeling anything but happy

I sat on the side of my bed feeling anything but happy. Today I had to work the morning shift at the diner like I usually do. I normally can handle the fact I have to work on Saturdays but today I'm not feeling it at all. I'm getting no sleep because I have entirely too much stress weighing on my mind. This asshole of a landlord is literally threatening to kick me out if I don't have the rent in two days. I'm definitely worried because the diner doesn't even pay me half the amount of my rent. I profusely sigh as I got up to do my morning routine.

I turned off the faucet after brushing my teeth and looked at the time. It read 6:30 which meant I had two hours until I had to go to work. I usually get up early just so I can smoke and get high on my balcony. Weed has always been my coping mechanism even when I was young. I grew up on Figueroa Street in Los Angeles County where everybody was either gang banging or dealing so I was always around it. It got to the point where I started selling it in high school because money was tight in my house. My mom stayed home and my dad worked but his job was barely a contribution being that we were still poor. I decided that it was time for me to do that something and try to provide for my family so I became a drug dealer. I eventually stopped when the government started helping us out with food stamps. We had some sense of normalcy but that was short lived as soon as we found out my dad had cancer. He ended up dying within two months. His death took a toll on all of us me mostly and I began to act out in school resulting in me dropping out my freshman year of college. My mom was infuriated and we ended up arguing.Lets just say our relationship hasn't been the same since. I looked at the smoke from my blunt intertwining with the fresh air feeling my emotions overcome me. I close my eyes thinking of what the future might hold for me. To be completely honest I'm scared of what's to come... I learned to let go and let god and just relax. I let serenity take over me as the sound of the wind smacking into trees engraved a smile onto my face. I drift away into a subtle happiness as the wind blows through my hair. I stayed like that for a minute until it abruptly stopped when I heard my ringtone go off.

Out of place
Out of space and time
Wide awake out of papers i am
Not ok I am out my mind

"Hello Jhené" I answered sarcastically

"Robz we need you earlier than usual a lot of people are here today for some reason and these motherfuckers are hungry as hell" she yelled from all the noise.

I chuckled and responded back. "Damn it does sound like there's a 100 people in there but don't worry I'll be there in 10"

"Ight and hurry up cause business is boomin bitch" And with that she hung up.

I laughed out loud as I entered my house to get ready. Jhené can be a trip sometimes but she never fails to make me laugh. When we met at the diner we clicked immediately. It was like I always knew her. I checked myself in the mirror before finally making a departure. I looked in my mailbox on the way to my car but I didn't have time to check it so I just stuffed it in my purse.